turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Radios and partner hunting

Started by RiverRoost, March 26, 2017, 04:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublelung

I've never used a walkie talkie for turkey hunting but my dad, son and I text regularly while being set up on the same bird. Not really any different than walkie talkie as far as I can tell and certainly not an unfair advantage.

grayfox

Me & my hunting buddy have used them for years for deer & turkey hunting. Not for using as an advantage to kill a turkey but for like "where you at,"" when you coming out,"" have you heard any gobbling" & things like that.

RiverRoost

I was just saying for like the "don't move, he's to our right" type stuff.

grayfox

Quote from: RiverRoost on March 26, 2017, 09:01:21 PM
I was just saying for like the "don't move, he's to our right" type stuff.

I would check with a game warden in your area & discuss it with him. You may have heard years ago about Babe Winkelman being charged for hunting with walkie-talkies. I think he struck a plea bargain with the authorities on the ordeal.

Kylongspur88

We will text each other while hunting. If I can hear or see a bird and can't get to him I'll throw my buddies a bone.

(For example: "hey man bird on the ridge next to the river... slip over and bust him!!")

catman529

I don't see how it would be a problem if you split up over a large property and want to keep tabs on each other. But then again we all walk into the woods with cell phones that can call, text and send photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lowoctane

My father in law and I used radios without ear phones for many years. It was more for my peace of mind knowing he was all right than anything else. We came to thoroughly enjoy being able to check with each other throughout our hunts. We set the volume real low and would key the radios up and pop the squelch to "call" each other without much noise. Worked very well.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

ilbucksndux

I have never used a radio for turkey hunting ,but it used to be almost a requirement for deer hunting and everybody had a set of them. Two waterfowl hunting clubs i worked for it WAS a requirement that all the guides carry one with them. One in particular the owner would sit in the clubhouse and look out across the field and would give you an ear full if he thought the shot was called to far,to soon or if you shot at ducks if there were geese anywhere near the field. 
Gary Bartlow

RiverRoost

Quote from: ilbucksndux on March 27, 2017, 07:20:57 AM
I have never used a radio for turkey hunting ,but it used to be almost a requirement for deer hunting and everybody had a set of them. Two waterfowl hunting clubs i worked for it WAS a requirement that all the guides carry one with them. One in particular the owner would sit in the clubhouse and look out across the field and would give you an ear full if he thought the shot was called to far,to soon or if you shot at ducks if there were geese anywhere near the field.

Now that's pretty tough! Seems like would take the fun out of it pretty quick always worried about making "the right" shot

Bill Cooksey

Quote from: ilbucksndux on March 27, 2017, 07:20:57 AM
One in particular the owner would sit in the clubhouse and look out across the field and would give you an ear full if he thought the shot was called to far,to soon or if you shot at ducks if there were geese anywhere near the field.

Steve Hahn?

Tail Feathers

My first thought would be it's OK for general communication like "I'm moving a few hundred yards east".  I probably wouldn't carry one because outside my cell phone, I'm not too big on carrying anything else with batteries. :D
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

CMBOSTC

You unfair advantage guys really crack me up. I have used 2 way radios and ear buds for years and have never seen an opportunity to kill a turkey or a deer by simply using a radio. I feel that using dogs, rifles, camouflage and concealment is an unfair advantage!

:newmascot:

taylorjones20

We use our iPhones and bluetooth headsets to communicate if we need to.  Some of y'all are going crazy on this subject.  If you want to use technology to communicate with one another while hunting, then by all means do so.  Quit being so negative to everyone who doesn't hunt the same way you do.

Unfair advantage... Good grief...  Just go hunting the way you want to hunt.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Strutr

I actually remember the old days when we went turkey hunting without the use of any electronics.  Hard to believe we ever killed a bird!   :o   :fud:

spaightlabs

Quote from: taylorjones20 on March 27, 2017, 03:22:17 PM
We use our iPhones and bluetooth headsets to communicate if we need to.  Some of y'all are going crazy on this subject.  If you want to use technology to communicate with one another while hunting, then by all means do so.  Quit being so negative to everyone who doesn't hunt the same way you do.

Unfair advantage... Good grief...  Just go hunting the way you want to hunt.

Read slowly this time...

It is ILLEGAL in many states.

You can't just go "hunting the way you want"...there are regulations.