OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Radios and partner hunting

Started by RiverRoost, March 26, 2017, 04:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Just a thought but anybody ever used any walkie talkis with earpieces when hunting with someone?

spaightlabs

Right there in line with reaping in my mind, and not legal in a lot of areas.

I go to the woods to hunt and to get away from electronic devices, not to kill.

RiverRoost

Don't see why it wouldn't be legal. It's just a thought for if someone is calling and back behind the gunner 30 yards or so.

spaightlabs

You can't see how using electronic communication in the field is an unfair advantage?

How about 1 guy on the highest spot around with a good set of binos and a phone or a radio?  Just tell your buddy exactly where the bird is and the best way to get to it.  If the bird starts moving, tell your buddy to sit down and set up quick.

Takes the 'hunt' out of hunting.

If it's legal in your state and you wanna kill one that bad, go for it. Check your local laws though - not legal in a lot of states.

RiverRoost

It has nothing to do with wanting to kill one that bad. I have other people hunting with me a fair amount and sometimes I separate from them as the caller in our setup and using hand signals doesn't exactly keep you low key. Anyway, we can delete this topic if it's controversial

spaightlabs

I'd say leave it - it's a good educational topic.

It isn't legal in a lot of states and most people probably have no idea.

dejake

UNFAIR ADVANTAGE.  That term cracks me up.  Where's the line, and who draws it?  Is using a firearm an unfair advantage?
Just saying.

Rzrbac

It's illegal in a lot of western states for big game. I hunt by myself so never even considered it.

RiverRoost

I just think in certain situations it could be used. Beats the hell out of trying to whisper to someone say my wife if I take her and set her up and I get back behind her and call. She only goes hunting with me and knows the difference between a gobbler and jake and hen but what if I see the bird or he comes in quiet and I need to tell her don't move he's off your right shoulder etc.  Just something that popped in my mind

spaightlabs

Well, I reckon the law defines it.

Hey - I get it , everyone has a different idea of fair, ethical etc. 

For some guys, shooting a bird out of a tree is legit and in some places it is legal.  Others, would never do it, legal or not.

Your state regs are dispositive of what is legal.  check 'em.

Greg Massey

Quote from: RiverRoost on March 26, 2017, 05:23:33 PM
It has nothing to do with wanting to kill one that bad. I have other people hunting with me a fair amount and sometimes I separate from them as the caller in our setup and using hand signals doesn't exactly keep you low key. Anyway, we can delete this topic if it's controversial
Leave the post, nothing wrong in what you ask.. interesting post. I don't see why people want let a person ask a question. Nothing controversial ... If a person doesn't want to use radio's that's his choose..

spaightlabs

Well, not really - in many, if not most states, it's the law's decision whether they can or can't use a radio.

It's the same thought as using a drone.  Put  drone 500 feet up, hover it, watch the birds, make a play on the birds.

Post up your state and if it is legal or not.

I'm in Colorado.  It is legal here as long as you don't use the radio or phone to direct a hunter to commit an illegal activity.

RiverRoost

I'm all about ethical and fair and respecting the game I hunt. The idea arose this afternoon when me and my brother got on a bird and communication after we set up caused what should have been a done deal to fail. Not mad the outcome just got me to thinking afterwards like so many turkeys do after they teach us a lesson

SteelerFan

Quote from: RiverRoost on March 26, 2017, 05:43:09 PM
I just think in certain situations it could be used. Beats the hell out of trying to whisper to someone say my wife if I take her and set her up and I get back behind her and call. She only goes hunting with me and knows the difference between a gobbler and jake and hen but what if I see the bird or he comes in quiet and I need to tell her don't move he's off your right shoulder etc.  Just something that popped in my mind

If you are hunting with a partner that needs "coaching" or is a novice - hunt the same tree. Then you can whisper all you want

Sometimes we get hung up in our "technique" of moving the caller back further, or making it sound like the hen is leaving, etc, etc.

But what do you do when you are hunting solo? You call and shoot from the same spot. It can be done with 2 hunters just as easily.

Marc

I have not used one for turkey hunting, but have used one for other types of hunting...

We used to use them duck hunting, basically to kill time chatting, or find out how many birds were needed to fill out, etc...  We used them more for entertainment than as a tactical advantage, but currently cell phones are more convenient...  Although, hunting certain areas, if one of us was having a good shoot, we would communicate to our partners to come on over (again cell phones are more convenient currently).

We still use them quail hunting due to the lack of cell phone coverage...  We often split up (i.e. different canyons), and will use them to communicate our positions, and if we do find birds we communicate that as well...  Also, if one of us jumps a small covey, we will relate that, so the other person does not cross a canyon cause someone shot three times at a single bird that got up...

I see a walkie-talkie as more of a liability than an advantage in turkey hunting...  You have a bird just about in range, and suddenly "SHHHK-crackle; you seen any action over there?" as the bird runs off.

I foresee the ear-pieces being nothing but a hassle.  Just something else to get in the way or lose.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.