OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Drthorn Hunting Log version 2018 (UPDATED 4-22-18 )

Started by Drthorn, March 26, 2017, 03:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drthorn

What's up OG? So I plan to do another log for 2017 this year, keeping you guys up to date on what's going on here in my part of KY. Mostly, I like to do this more so for myself, but hopefully you guys can get some enjoyment out of it as well.

Last year, I had a great season. I don't get to get out of state too often, but was fortunate enough to have a wife and kids that allowed me to take some time and go to Oklahoma. I went with my cousin-in-law and we both had a blast, tagging two rios each for a great trip. Then, I was able to tag a nice gobbler opening day in KY as well. After that, I was on birds all year, but never could punch that last tag.

Over this past deer season, I had a group of 7 longbeards i saw on several occasions, so that got me fired up for Spring back in October!

So, it's that time of year again in which I am starting to get out and look for turkeys. They are strutting here now in KY so it should be a good time to scout for strut zones. In fact, I drove out to the farm this past Saturday morning to scan a field I plan to hunt. Good news is I saw a group of hens and about 6-8 strutters with them. Bad news is they were in another field on the other side of a wood lot that separates that field and the field I hunt. Hopefully they do what they have done the past several seasons and begin to use the field as a flydown field in the morning. We still have 3 weeks to go, and I figure the toms will begin to split up soon.

Also for this year, I bought a remington 870 20ga youth model. I switched out the stock with a remington shurshot, added truglo magnum gobble dot pro series sights, and a carlsons extended turkey choke. I have got a decent pattern with it and plan to tote it along with me opening morning. I have not used a 20ga to kill a turkey since my very first turkey I ever killed back in 2001, so this should be fun. I noticed a lot of guys on here really enjoy the 20 so I wanted to give it a go as well.

Well, I will try to post up when i have some updates. I teach, coach my schools archery team, am a competitive powerlifter (actually have a meet in 13 days), and have a wife and two kids and one on the way, so we will just say time is precious in the turkey woods. Our spring break is in 2 weeks so I plan to have a lot of scouting reports then. Until then good luck to everyone this season and be safe!

SteelerFan

:icon_thumright: Looking forward to the adventure! (I got tired just reading your last paragraph...)

mgm1955

Drthorn

Well, just couldn't fight the urge...

I am going to go with a student and archery team member, of mine, and his dad for the KY Youth Season tomorrow. I plan to go and tag along and try to video him getting a bird. May try to call a bit if they let me  :funnyturkey:

After that, we are heading to the NASP KY State Archery Tournament. Gonna be a busy day but hey, turkey hunting and an archery tournament. What could be better?

Drthorn

so no birds youth morning. had 3-4 gobbling on the roost a few hundred yards away, but once they hit the ground there was 0 gobbling!

Went out this morning to sit in the truck and watch and listen for some at daybreak. Even though it was cold, rainy, and windy, I had several gobbling just inside the tree line. I never did see the birds, but they flew down and went across the field onto the neighboring property, gobbling the whole way. Good news is that there were 3-4 gobbling and would have had to pass through the field I plan to hunt opening morning to get to the other field. Will try to get back out another morning or so this week to keep tabs.

Drthorn

Not a good opening weekend here in KY. I had the great pleasure of watching a flashlight go through the woods the turkeys like to roost in, walk right under the tree, and spook birds off the roost. This was the joining property, so i had no say in the matter, but this is the first time in 5 years I have ever seen anyone hunting that side of the wood lot. The birds did end up pitching down into the field I was in and landed about 50-60 yards out from the decoy. the gobblers would look at the decoy and gobble but none broke loose. Eventually the hens led them away and I didn't see any more that morning. There were about 5-6 toms and several hens in the group. They may not have come in because of the other hunters calling like crazy, using that dang gobble tube, and trampling up and down the woods trying to call them in. I could see the hunters moving back and forth just inside the woodline. I truly believe that the hunters screwed up my hunt that morning, keeping the turkeys on edge.

Went back that afternoon to try to catch them coming back to roost, and again i had the pleasure of listening to these guys call every 10 minutes and move throughout the woods. Needless to say, no turkeys.

Couldn't go this morning due to Easter, but tried again this evening, hoping the turkeys would come back to roost again. Had two male birds (may have been toms, couldn't get a good look) come out of the woods and high tail it across the field to the other property, not paying a bit of attention to my calling and decoy. Then the storms came and I had to end early.

Like I said, I know since the other hunters were on their property there really isn't anything I can say or do, but it is beyond frustrating. I literally watched their light go parallel with me the entire morning on the way to the blind, I tried to flash my light towards them to let them know I was there, but to no avail. Even after they saw my blind and decoy spread they continued to go back and forth in the woods. I was really looking forward to a great season but I am now a bit worried. Besides these two guys, I saw another truck on the other property behind me, and also a guy walking across a field on another property. It is getting to the point I don't even like going any more because I am more worried about who else is around than being able to enjoy the woods. Any advice?

Drthorn

aaaahhhhhh!

Well, had a plan this morning. It was pouring down rain, but I rain suited up and took my blind and set it up early this morning at a spot in the field that seems to be where all the turkeys are wanting to go. So Here i sit in the down pour, when I look up around 820am and see 7 turkeys feeding out the left side of the blind. I thought at first they were all hens, but realized there were 3 jakes in the mix. The jakes made their way into the decoy at 15 yards. I just couldn't bring myself to shoot a jake so I let them pass. As I was watching them a huge gust of wind came and about blew my blind right off of me, making a loud noise as it flapped in the wind. this spooked the jakes and they begin to go back the way they came back towards the other birds. I then realized there were 2 toms also in the mix. I ranged one at 51 yards and he was working away with the other birds. Long story short, I never did get those birds to come into range. I was toting my new 20ga so I didn't want to try anything past 40. They all eventually made their way out of sight and that was the last turkey I saw all morning.

Guess I'll try same setup in the morning. Gonna take my full strut decoy this time to see if the toms want to pick a fight. This is getting frustrating all ready.

Drthorn

uh, i missed. enough said. moving on now

Drthorn

I am still having a hard time getting over missing that turkey! I hope that it will be my last one, but I also know I am foolish to think that.

I am taking a day off work Friday since I have a powerlifting competition Saturday and weigh ins are friday. I am going to try to get a hunt in that morning. Hopefully, God willing, i will get another chance at an old tom and this time seal the deal. I figure that will be the best remedy of getting over this miss. Wish me luck!

Drthorn

Alright guys...I did an awful job of keeping up with the log last season; mainly due to having some tough luck and getting skunked. I'm hoping to do a better job this year if keeping you guys posted on what's happening in my neck of the woods. Let's et this started off with some predator control this morning.

Dad and I tried yesterday at a different farm and I hate to say I missed a coyote at 200 yards with my sks. It was less than 5 minutes from turning caller on until the shot. Needless to say I was bummed.

Well this morning we tried again and this time I took my .270. We ended to another farm that i turkey hunt and to get it started off we got to see a group of 10+ longbeards in the field! This definitely got my turkey fever pumping.

Setup 1 we tried for about 30 minutes and no luck

Setup 2: turned the caller on and in less than a minute I see one coming through the wood line. This coyote then proceeded to jump OVER a woven wire fence that was 3-4 feet high and was on a hard
Run to the caller and the arrow with a turkey feather on a string for a decoy. I was having a hard time to get it in scope and when I did it was right at the caller, knew something was up, and began to run off. I took the shot and rolled it at about 40 yards.

Looked at the caller 3minutes 19 seconds had passed!

Anyways. Hopefully we can get a few more this winter and save some turkeys and deer in the process.

captpete

Congrats on the yote and good luck getting a few more.

Drthorn

Here she is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captpete

Drthorn

I had to take down some climbing sticks and lifelines from this past deer season, so I thought i'd give the coyotes another go this morning as well. Unfortunately, I couldn't get one to come into the calls this morning. i will probably keep trying throughout the winter. Kill a coyote, save a turkey is my philosophy.

tomstopper

Very nice. Congrats on reducing a pup producer

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk