OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SA 459

Started by Nightfallatdawn, March 26, 2017, 11:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightfallatdawn

Weatherby SA 459, Carlson extended 575, heavyweight #7.

Getting a big spread on the pattern at 40 yards. Sub 100 in 10 inches.

I've shot 10 shells. I've tried cleaning between shots and I've tried shooting without cleaning. Not much difference either way.

Any suggestions? I have a Trulock 560 ordered, may get a Sumtoy to try, but I've seen much better patterns with this exact setup.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

SumToy

Sad to say lot numbers have came back to play with the federals.  :angry9:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

codym

Quote from: SumToy on March 26, 2017, 11:33:05 AM
Sad to say lot numbers have came back to play with the federals.  :angry9:

Exactly, one reason I switched to TSS.

gophert

Yep...welcome to the world of commercial shells. 

FL-Boss

Crazy.. I shot the exact same set up a few days ago. I was getting around 140ish in all my shots...
then I had one freak shot that hit 181.  My Federal's get mixed up sometimes.. but pretty sure they are
the same batch from last year. 
I did order some new HW shells this week, I guess I should shoot a few of them to check..

gophert

^^^^That's a smoking tight pattern at 40 yards.  One of the best I've seen.  You better aim just above the beard at 15 yards  :drool:

FL-Boss

That pattern is not typical with the Carlson choke. ... that was just a freak shot.  And yes, it's too tight for my liking.  I like to see about 130 - 140 hits @ 40 yards for real world hunting pattern. 

Nightfallatdawn

I received my Trulock choke today. I'm happier with the pattern from it. I have a Sumtoy on the way. I'll test it and decide between the two.

I haven't counted yet, but this is with the Trulock at 40.