OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

To Blind or Not to Blind Opinions Please

Started by TyFlyer21, March 19, 2017, 02:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redjones

If it will help you to spend more time in the field with your Father and he doesn't mind using one there would be no question at all.
Blinds have a place in turkey hunting just like decoys do,there are plenty of people that post here about how they would never use either,for whatever reason.
At the end of the day you decide what you are comfortable hunting with,after a few years of success you will make changes as your experience level grows.
If your just getting started its all about getting on birds and opportunities to kill them,if a blind and decoys help make that happen, great.
I have killed a handful of birds out of a blind and its not my first choice,but when I travel out of state there is always one packed in the truck,just in case of bad weather,and I have never had an issue using it when needed.
I have heard good things about these,might be worth a look.
https://www.rhinoblinds.com

Good Luck to You and Your Family this Spring............Greg

Semper Fi

Duffer58

Blinds have their benefits particularly if you have someone who isn't able to sit for long periods of time on the ground.  I don't hunt out of them a lot - but I usually keep a couple setup on one of the properties I hunt so I have a spot to go to when it rains heavily.  They are a bit bulky to carry especially when you're also toting a chair.  Before you purchase a blind go a Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc. and look them over and sit inside them.  Also do the same for blind chairs.  For the tripod style stools I've tried a number but I recommend the Primos QS3 Magnum.  If you want something in more of a chair style I would suggest you take a look at the Bass Pro BlackOut Seivel Hand-Arm Chair.  A lot of height adjustment and all day sitting comfort.  The downside of blinds is they restrict your mobility as you're lugging them along.  I like to be mobile but I'm an older hunter and can't sit for long on a pad of foam on the ground without my backside becoming very uncomfortable.  What I use is a gobbler lounge chair for most all my hunting.  I can sit comfortably (which means no movement) for long periods of time.  I'm just not as graceful crawling out of it as I use to be.
870 SPS SM 23" Barrel / Indian Creek 0.665 / EO Tech 512 & Weatherby SA-459 / Carlson 0.555 / Vortex Venom

Ihuntoldschool

Blinds take away from the hunt by allowing the hunter to get away with movement.  Now this creates an unlevel playing field as the odds are tipped towards the hunter. Turkeys have superior eyesight that they use to their advantage. When you take this away by using a blind you go against the rules of fair chase. Having said that blinds are not as bad as decoys or those other visual aids that people are using these days.  It is a slippery slope though so you want to stick to the high ground as far as ethics/fair chase. I would advise against using a blind.

Over the years the sport has been dumbed down so that the masses can have a chance for success the easy way without having to put the time and effort into really learning how to hunt spring turkeys on a level playing field.  Fair chase and ethics have gone by the wayside.  The kill at all costs mentality is the norm now rather than the exception.     Always remember never wear anything red, white, or blue as these match the colors of a turkey's head.   Think safety.

Bowguy

Someday you're gonna wish for more time w your dad. Today is the day to get some. Just do it

stinkpickle

Get the blind and spend some time with your dad.  Everything else is secondary.

akp

Hunt the blind.  Definitely more comfortable when two are hunting.

Happy

Hunt with your grandad.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

spaightlabs

Quote from: Cottonmouth on March 19, 2017, 07:13:25 PM
For fidgety kids and older hunters, I would definitely have a blind on hand. If money is an issue, you could always use some camo burlap and some wood stakes but a blind could save the day if it's rainy. Whatever it takes to keep your Dad comfortable and be able to enjoy the hunt. Welcome to the sport.

This.

Getting 3 people to sit dead still for any amount time is impossible.  The blind will only help your cause.