turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Video camera Recs?

Started by RiverRoost, March 24, 2017, 02:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Want to get a small handycam type camera to film partner hunts or try a solo hunt and looking for recommendations. I've seen some Sony handycams on amazon as a package deal with tripod, batteries etc for around $250 and want to stay in that price range. Anything special I should look for in one. Also use it as home video camera as well.

misfire

I e a Handycam, spent a lot more than $250 for it many years ago. Not sure if they have changed them, but make sure that whatever you get you have the ability to add a shotgun microphone to it. The audio is not great past 10' otherwise
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

catman529

Panasonic HC-V250 can be had for about $250 and has an incredible 90x zoom and great low light setting. Good stereo microphone built in as well. I used this cam till I upgraded to the V750 which can take an external mic but cost twice as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Quote from: catman529 on March 24, 2017, 05:39:18 PM
has an incredible 90x zoom

Not to disagree with you here but your camera has 90X Optical? I am guessing this is Digital Zoom, from what we have found basically useless... Digital Zoom is just a distortion of your actual video. So let's say you have 30X Optical, Digital is taking each pixel and distorts it's color to fit in to 3 pixels, it does this process for every pixel in the original "picture". If you look up or have seen the effects of Pixelation.

"Pixelation  is caused by displaying a bitmap or a section of a bitmap at such a large size that individual pixels, small single-colored square display elements that comprise the bitmap, are visible. Such an image is said to be pixelated"

The key here is ONLY look at Optical Power.

If you are wanting great footage you have a couple of options, you can buy lenses to increase your Optical Zoom ratio or you buy a camera with a higher Optical Power to begin with. Just remember the higher the power the better of a tripod you will need to add stability to your camera. My Canon has a 20X Optical and it works out great, rarely a time I would need more.

One other thing is with a Lens Doubler when you zoom back to 1X you will see a black ring on the outer edge of you video which is actually the inside ring of the lens (some cameras are able to adjust with some settings so you set zoom limits so you do not get back to that point)

We also have a New guy filming with us and he will be using a 35mm Digital Camera, he is still setting this up but kind of excited to see what kind of footage it takes.

MK M GOBL

catman529

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 24, 2017, 07:55:37 PM
Quote from: catman529 on March 24, 2017, 05:39:18 PM
has an incredible 90x zoom

Not to disagree with you here but your camera has 90X Optical? I am guessing this is Digital Zoom, from what we have found basically useless... Digital Zoom is just a distortion of your actual video. So let's say you have 30X Optical, Digital is taking each pixel and distorts it's color to fit in to 3 pixels, it does this process for every pixel in the original "picture". If you look up or have seen the effects of Pixelation.
it has a 50x optical and 90x "intelligent" zoom which is enhanced digital. The straight digital zoom goes up to like 300 or something. Better than most cameras. The one I use now has a 20x optical and 50x intelligent zoom 

catman529

Quote from: misfire on March 24, 2017, 02:36:29 PM
I e a Handycam, spent a lot more than $250 for it many years ago. Not sure if they have changed them, but make sure that whatever you get you have the ability to add a shotgun microphone to it. The audio is not great past 10' otherwise
most of the new cameras have great built-in mics. The main problem is that they pick up operating noise like zoom and autofocus. And I wouldn't recommend a mono shotgun mic for outdoors, it is a directional mic intended for pointing at a person talking. I use a stereo mic that records the sounds of the woods and makes it feel more like you are in the woods.

Strutr

One of my buddies just picked up a Panasonic HC-V380 with 62x optical and 90x digital zoom, advanced image stabilization, wifi control thru cellphone, etc. for just under $300.  Amazing technology for the money.

catman529

Quote from: Strutr on March 25, 2017, 08:50:17 PM
One of my buddies just picked up a Panasonic HC-V380 with 62x optical and 90x digital zoom, advanced image stabilization, wifi control thru cellphone, etc. for just under $300.  Amazing technology for the money.
I haven't used that camera but I bet it's as good as it sounds. But the wifi control is basically useless.. the distance range is crappy, the video will lag sometimes, and it drains your camera and phone battery a lot faster. But that zoom will be killer for turkey hunting. I have used my cameras instead of binoculars for 2 or 3 years now.

WisTurk

Quote from: catman529 on March 25, 2017, 01:33:53 AM

most of the new cameras have great built-in mics. The main problem is that they pick up operating noise like zoom and autofocus. And I wouldn't recommend a mono shotgun mic for outdoors, it is a directional mic intended for pointing at a person talking. I use a stereo mic that records the sounds of the woods and makes it feel more like you are in the woods.

What microphone do you use or would recommend?

catman529

Quote from: WisTurk on March 27, 2017, 09:03:20 AM
Quote from: catman529 on March 25, 2017, 01:33:53 AM

What microphone do you use or would recommend?
I used a Senal SCS-98 for a couple seasons with good results. It runs at least $150 new. Just recently bought a Rode Stereo Videomic Pro which cost twice as much but I think is worth it for turkey hunting. Note it is the stereo version, not mono. This video I filmed yesterday morning was with the Rode.

http://youtu.be/o3HBS5sXaBo

A lot of guys use a shotgun mic (mono) which captures just as good sound quality however it is very directional and muffles anything that is not straight in front of it. For outdoor videos, especially hunting, I like the stereo microphone as it makes you feel like you are there in the woods.