OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cracked IC. choke!!!

Started by S.C.C, April 10, 2011, 10:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgruff1533

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 10, 2011, 05:33:52 PM
Over hardening and under tempering???
Probably has more to do with the longitudinal port design, and the high number of ports.    Shot pellets are likely getting wedged between the ports and forcing them apart little by little until the choke physically splits.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well let's just give it some time and see if anyone can split the newer beefier stainless steel version chokes.  I know a lot of folks that have Indian Creek chokes and haven't had a problem.  

SR1

Quote from: mcgruff1533 on April 10, 2011, 06:08:20 PM
Probably has more to do with the longitudinal port design, and the high number of ports.    Shot pellets are likely getting wedged between the ports and forcing them apart little by little until the choke physically splits.
I will say this much I think its the way the ports are but there is no shot getting stuck in the ports and cracking them. If that was the case nobody would port anything because it would have shot comeing out or getting stuck in all of them. Think about it shot would do it to barrels even if that was the case of porting.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

new2turkey

Quote from: SR1 on April 10, 2011, 06:45:00 PM
Quote from: mcgruff1533 on April 10, 2011, 06:08:20 PM
I will say this much I think its the way the ports are but there is no shot getting stuck in the ports and cracking them. If that was the case nobody would port anything because it would have shot comeing out or getting stuck in all of them. Think about it shot would do it to barrels even if that was the case of porting.

The ports in a barrel and the long "slit" design of ic are very different.

goblr77

Quote from: msgobblergetter on April 10, 2011, 04:12:57 PM
Quote from: BigPeck215 on April 10, 2011, 01:04:59 PM
very interesting that that choke is 3yrs old and had the same problems that the new chokes made from the bad batch of steel had

Agreed.  Bad steel batch is not the problem.

My first thought as well.

SR1

Its still a hole yes they are different but nothing is getting jammed in them and I have seen slit type ports on barrels. Granted they are not like on the IC chokes but near the same. Think about how big the round ports on chokes are and nobody is haveing problems with them now are they.
[/url]

S.C.C

Spoke with them....IC. is going to replace this one with SS....great CS so far!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

hookedspur

Quote from: S.C.C on April 11, 2011, 10:07:31 AM
Spoke with them....IC. is going to replace this one with SS....great CS so far!! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Hay Flats

I would be willing to bet this is a heat treaters issue, my hunting buddie works in a big shop that specializes in aircraft parts both fixed wing and helicopter, Military and civilian, half of the building is CNC milling centers. When I mentioned the IC issue with him the first thing he said was the heat treating, he told me that is one of the biggest issue his shop has is
inconsistent heat treating they are constantly rejecting parts because the heat treaters can't get it right! and they are FAA approved facilities operating to the highest standards and still cant get the heat treating right on a normal basis! So I would bet a small shop like Indian Creek plays heck with quality materials especially in this day and age when it is almost impossible to get materials in the first place.

Kurt

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Whatever the true cause is, it's a run of bad luck for a company that has enjoyed great success.

Comp-N-Choke was/is a very successful choke,  but HTL destroys the choke because of the design.

Gobblin' Thunder was/is a very successful choke, but the owner tells people not to use it with Hevi13 shells.

Indian Creek has one of the most successful turkey choke designs of all time, but now 10 to 20 of them have split, maybe even a few more that were just thrown away, which they never even heard about?  This is not good for them, especially now that a 3 year old choke failed after 100 rounds.  Although I'm sure that magnum turkey loads push tight chokes to the limit.

I'd be curious to know if any of the more open chokes sold by Indian Creek for Buckshot, Predators, and Waterfowl have split, since they also have the same 30 parallel port design.  Perhaps it's just the tight turkey chokes, and not the more open chokes?  If so, their design might be close to the point of being prone to cracking in tight exit diameters?

I own one, use it, and like it, so I'm not a basher. 

SR1

I have no dog in the fight but would like to see a design change before I buy one. Im not bashing them they are great chokes and the company stands behind everyone of them that says alot.
[/url]

sugarray

Just checked my .710 waterfowl last night, what I use in my turkey rig, and it is perfect.  Ready to shoot some Merriams.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I wanted to add that the choke I posted here was the 835 choke, and I don't know actually how thick the other model chokes are in the stainless steel versions.  So I didn't want to mislead anyone.  The guys at Indian Creek have told me that these chokes haven't had a issue yet.  But that was awhile back.  They started making the stainless chokes 01-01-11 just so you know.  I guess we will see in time how they do and how tough they actually are.  I wish them the best.  

S.C.C

The replacement SS choke came today.There has been some changes to the length/design of the chokes at the ports and the internals have been changed drastically compared with the old one also the black is rubbing off by hand right out of the package.Quick shipping for sure!! :icon_thumright:
Will see how it shoots now compared to the old design. :z-guntootsmiley:

archery1

yeah the black is rubbing off mine to. i spoke to stuart a month ago about it.they said they were sending their chokes out to get finished casue they were having issues with the color.. i thought maybe they fixed it ? but i guess not.. mine has held up so far and throws great patterns with all my 3" shells
ic customers service is great.. a 3 yr old choke and still replace t.. wow.. thats just awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
Take a kid hunting