OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why Join the Hevi-Shot Bandwagon?

Started by smitty1hunter, April 10, 2011, 09:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitty1hunter

The reason I'm asking this is because I've heard more than once that often times the shot is the wrong size or very deformed. I don't really know how much difference a deformed shot actually makes, but according to some, a lot.

Also, why is everyone preaching #7s? Is getting 200 pellets that important or would 100 do the job and have something hit a little harder farther down the range? I realize the heavier loads are extending the range, but why not go down a shot size or two and extend it a little farther. I'm not being critical, I'm just wondering.

One last thing, are all the heavier than lead turkey loads the same makeup? I know they are using tungsten but is it a blend or is it 100% tungsten? Thanks guys.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

This thread should be a sticky. :icon_thumright:

QuoteIs getting 200 pellets that important

It's important for being able to pull off 45-55+ yard shots. :goofball:

smitty1hunter

QuoteIs getting 200 pellets that important

It's important for being able to pull off 45-55+ yard shots. :goofball:

[/quote]

Why is that? When shooting lead you go down in size not up? I would think your range would extend with fewer pellets hitting harder? It only takes one, not 200. I'm not saying I would shoot a gun to the point of too few pellets hitting a target to ensure a kill, but i think you get my point.

Gobble!

I always say go with 7s because they can kill at 60 yards And also produce a killing pattern at 60 yards if you ever have to shoot that far
If the combo I'm shooting can't put 100 in a 10" circle at a certain yardage then that's my cut off point. With lead that's usually 40 yards

lotsaleadindahead

Here's my opinion of  pellet counts.  If you ever seen 100 pellets patterned say at 40 yards vs 200 pellets at 40 there are always big gaps in the pattern with only 100 hitting inside a 10" circle, given your using the same shell.  With 200 hitting those gaps are much smaller, it could mean the difference between a smackdown and a wounded bird.  Also HTL tends to pattern better than lead due to less pellet derformation because it's harder, it really doesn't matter how round the shot is as so much as it retains it shot column coming through the choke.  

hunttherut

I had these same questions until I shot Hevi.  On paper there is no comparison.  I would much rather have the hevi pattern headed down range at a bird than the lead pattern.  You are right "lead is dead" just as well. But it is hard to argue with the patterns hevi shot is producing.

bird

Let me ask a better question.  Why Not?  :smiley-char092:

SumToy

Well it is one of them do you need it or do you want it.  I think it is both.  If all the stars and the moon is in line you would not need the 250 to 300 at 40 yards.   Now that said you not going to get that.  You are going to miss read the bird and shoot more then 40 sometimes.  You going to have trash that you don't see at times.  You going to be moving and he is going to be moving so the holes in the pattern with less shot you not want.   

Then we like to say do you want to kill him or eat him.  We want to blow him up.   :fud:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Hay Flats

One more thing to consider is that with the hard HTL pellets hitting bone they shatter the bone rather than just break it, if a lead pellet nicks the neck bone it can smear the lead pellet and glance off but the hard HTL pellet will break the bone.

Kurt

mightyjoeyoung

Inside 30, I WANT MUSHED TURKEY HEAD!!!  at 40+, I want no doubt that I am going to cleanly and ethically knock that bird's beak in the dirt!!  THAT is why I go with the HTL loads.  Do I use lead?  Sure, but not so much these days.  I still have a ton of lead turkey loads but the HTL stuf just outperforms all day long.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BigPeck215

i've seen a heck of a lot more birds wounded from lead than from hevi shot, hevi shot gives room for error if you for example misjudge a distance if you think a bird is at 40 and your lead load puts 100 in the 10" and its really at 50 your going to be lucky to get 50 in the 10" at that distance and you run the risk of wounding the bird.

if you get 250 in the 10" at 40 w/ hevi shot then you know you are good to at least 55yds if you misjudge a distance

i know very few people who can accurately judge distances when they are at ground level hiding behind some bushes while they are concentrating on calling in a bird and aiming correctly, hevi shot gives you some leeway when it comes to distance 

cannonball

Quote from: hunttherut on April 10, 2011, 10:40:19 AM
I had these same questions until I shot Hevi.  On paper there is no comparison.  I would much rather have the hevi pattern headed down range at a bird than the lead pattern.  You are right "lead is dead" just as well. But it is hard to argue with the patterns hevi shot is producing.

:agreed: My Hevi patterns looked twice as good as my lead #5 patterns.

Longshanks

Honestly, all it will take is for you to buy some hevi 13 6's or 7's and shoot them through a turkey gun at a 3' x 3' piece of paper ( 30 or 40yds),,then go shoot a wild turkey with it and you will have no questions why it is better than lead.. :begging:

smitty1hunter

I should have phrased this question a little better. I know the reasons behind shooting a heavier than lead substitute, I am curious why soo many people seem to be shooting that brand in particular?  I'm mainly wondering if the other manufacturers are using the exact same makeup or if Hevi Shot is different. I'm not really sure why the pattern would be better than others either, but who knows.

I didn't mean to sound like I was comparing Hevi shot to lead, more of a comparison between Hevi Shot and the other heavier than lead ammo. Sorry for the confusion.

mudhen

I shoot H-13 because it patterns well and performs well in the field.  Better than anything I have ever tried, except Nitro of course.

I do think EM is a shady company though...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka