turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Good, Better, Best

Started by decoykrvr, March 22, 2017, 03:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

Based upon the number of opportunities which you have to harvest/kill a gobbler, the cost of turkey shells, and the   cost of ammunition as a percentage of the dollars spent during a turkey season,  it pays to shoot the best turkey loads available.  Good- the Longbeard XR which is appears to be a good lead load
                       Better- Federal Heavyweight 7's
                       Best-   TSS
If you don't reload, and if the Fed HW shoot/pattern well in your gun, even if the pattern is only marginally better than a lead load, the kinetic energy and knock-down of the Heavyweight which is 35% more dense than lead and has a velocity of 1100 fps, makes the decision to shoot the Federal HW pretty obvious.  Give yourself every advantage which you can.

chatterbox

Quote from: decoykrvr on March 22, 2017, 03:46:55 PM
Based upon the number of opportunities which you have to harvest/kill a gobbler, the cost of turkey shells, and the   cost of ammunition as a percentage of the dollars spent during a turkey season,  it pays to shoot the best turkey loads available.  Good- the Longbeard XR which is appears to be a good lead load
                       Better- Federal Heavyweight 7's
                       Best-   TSS
If you don't reload, and if the Fed HW shoot/pattern well in your gun, even if the pattern is only marginally better than a lead load, the kinetic energy and knock-down of the Heavyweight which is 35% more dense than lead and has a velocity of 1100 fps, makes the decision to shoot the Federal HW pretty obvious.  Give yourself every advantage which you can.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

jakebird

How would you rate the 3rd degrees and the Triple Beards? I know some guys have been having good luck with them in 20 gauge too.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

g8rvet

I have a buddy that got 150s in the 10" at 40 yards with a Trulock choke on a Remington youth 870 with the Third Degree.  He did not send me his patterns though.  He liked the HW better and said it was more evenly spaced and will hunt with that.  FWIW.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: decoykrvr on March 22, 2017, 03:46:55 PM
  Give yourself every advantage which you can.

Agreed, Definitely This ^^!
  Not saying this to be debatable. However... Whatever it may be,as long as it works for you. The Long beards just aren't for me. I'd choose the XX to be my version of the good.
:turkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."