OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 20ga. youth

Started by pagunslinger, April 10, 2011, 09:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pagunslinger

Can u guys give me some choke/shell combos that have worked for you? Tryin to keep recoil down for the young gun!

dpittman

I load a 1oz HS 7.5 @1200 for my 7 year old. Out of a GSX .565 or SSX .550 will kill out to at least 35 yards. 170-180 in 10" at 30 yards. Recoil is not too bad. What we think doesn't kick at all can hurt a 6 or 7 year old. Guns that fit and good recoil pads are a start.

gophert

If you can find the Federal HW 2 3/4 #7, they shoot great out of SSX .550 and RSF .570 out to about 30 yards.  My (10 yr old) daughter shot a turkey last week and it didn't kick no more than the bird shot she has been practicing with. 

I was getting a good 125 average in a 10" circle at 30 yards with both chokes. 

surehuntsalot

the "old" Remington Premier Hevishot doesn't have alot of recoil if you can find any
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

goblr77

Quote from: pagunslinger on April 10, 2011, 09:02:37 AM
Can u guys give me some choke/shell combos that have worked for you? Tryin to keep recoil down for the young gun!

You might want to start with changing the recoil pad if it's like mine. I just picked up an 870 youth with a wood stock this week and the recoil pad is super hard.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: pagunslinger on April 10, 2011, 09:02:37 AM

If you'll slip a Shooter's Friend recoil pad over the existing pad it will really help. It only adds 1/4" to the LOP but has a much larger footprint that disburses the recoil and makes it much more pleasant.

You can even remove the existing pad and just use the SF over the butt, if necessary.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."