OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

12 gauge autoloader

Started by DBuck90, March 21, 2017, 11:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBuck90

Alright guys and gals I am going to be purchasing my first semi automatic 12 gauge
Price is not an issue. Want opinion on function/fit and feel also 3 in or 3-1/2
Whatever I decide to purchase will have a vent rib rail so keep that in mind also I will be
Looking into having the barrel professionally shortened down to 22 inches
Now one of my concerns if I was to purchase a shotgun that is inertia operated that having the barrel
Shortened to that length it wouldn't function correctly
Any and all opinions welcome

Strutr

If you are buying a semi-auto specifically for shooting turkeys with heavy loads, I'd suggest going with a gas operated gun for best recoil absorption.  The Rem Versa Max Turkey comes with a 22" barrel and can handle 2.75-3.50" shells.  Having said that, there's nothing wrong with an inertia gun either but I've not shot any of the new models, only older recoil type Browning's, Franchi's, etc.

taylorjones20

Have you looked at the SBE2 turkey? It has a 24" barrel. Vent rib, inertia...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

codym

Is weight a consideration? If it isn't I would go with a SX3-4 gas system is reliable and offers softer recoil, but I would get the shortest barrel they have and not cut it since they are back bored which seems to help with patterning heavier payloads. So many great options out there, Winchester, Browning, Benelli, Remington, Beretta, they all bring a little something different to the table. You sort of need to get real specific in terms of price point and features to help sort it out.

Izzyjoe

If you want an all purpose shotgun, the Benelli M2 is hard to beat. For a turkey gun there are several that would fit the bill. Just depends what you want it for!

Farmboy27

Lots of great options out there. I think you can still get the mossberg 935 with a 22" pipe. Most of the others are going to come with longer barrels. My question is do you really need a 22"barrel?  I would hate to hack down a new gun. I've owned a 22" barreled mossberg and never once killed a bird with it that I couldn't have killed with my 26" 870. And I've never had a bird get away while using a longer barreled gun that I would've killed with a shorter one. The weight savings are minimal for me. Its your money and your choice. But I'd think long and hard before cutting down a barrel to save 2-4" and a few ounces

DBuck90

Strictly turkey gun, recoil is not an issue neither is weight I don't want to shorten the barrel for weight saving just make it a little more easer to run and gun it seems I do more crawling then sitting and calling in birds but hey when you hunt heavy pressured public land you have to do what the next guy won't.

DBuck90

Quote from: taylorjones20 on March 22, 2017, 09:12:05 AM
I have gave them a little look not a fan of the pistol grip
Do you know if they make one in the 24 with a standard stock ?

DBuck90

Quote from: codym on March 22, 2017, 10:04:34 AM
Is weight a consideration? If it isn't I would go with a SX3-4 gas system is reliable and offers softer recoil, but I would get the shortest barrel they have and not cut it since they are back bored which seems to help with patterning heavier payloads. So many great options out there, Winchester, Browning, Benelli, Remington, Beretta, they all bring a little something different to the table. You sort of need to get real specific in terms of price point and features to help sort it out.
that's another one of my concerns is shortening the barrel going to
Hurt me in patterning I have contacted Remington and benelli and neither will make me a custom shotgun because I am asking them to to change a production gun

DBuck90

Quote from: Farmboy27 on March 22, 2017, 08:36:39 PM
Lots of great options out there. I think you can still get the mossberg 935 with a 22" pipe. Most of the others are going to come with longer barrels. My question is do you really need a 22"barrel?  I would hate to hack down a new gun. I've owned a 22" barreled mossberg and never once killed a bird with it that I couldn't have killed with my 26" 870. And I've never had a bird get away while using a longer barreled gun that I would've killed with a shorter one. The weight savings are minimal for me. Its your money and your choice. But I'd think long and hard before cutting down a barrel to save 2-4" and a few ounces
yeah I understand that totally do just seems like my 26 inch 870 just gets a little long and bulky at times so I decided to purchase Remington's 870 sps turkey/predator with the 20 inch barrel and I hated it just didn't fit me for a turkey gun no vent rib rail and was designed to be used with an optic which I also wasn't found if so I figured spend the money and make me a custom gun from a 26 inch barrel down to a 22 with vent rib and then once my choke is installed it will be pushing 24 inches

bbcoach

If this is going to be a dedicated turkey gun the Mossy 935 is hard to beat.  The Mossy's are overbored, put up Great numbers when patterned and will pattern most shells with a variety of chokes.  They also come tapped and drilled for a scope or red dot should you choose to add one.  The best thing about the Mossy's is that won't break the bank.  Good Luck with your search. 

turkey buster

If I was buying another gun I'd go with the Remington Versa Max Turkey or the SBE turkey model assuming funds were not limited.  On a budget I'd not hesitate to go with the 935 as mentioned. I wish I'd kept the one I had but I got the money to buy my original bottomland 870 out of it.  It  patterned excellent with an SSX and 3.5 LB 6's.

spursRus

Quote from: DBuck90 on March 23, 2017, 04:51:47 AM

i think the turkey model comes with both steady grip and regular stock but I may be wrong

taylorjones20

Quote from: spursRus on March 23, 2017, 08:47:26 AM
Quote from: DBuck90 on March 23, 2017, 04:51:47 AM

i think the turkey model comes with both steady grip and regular stock but I may be wrong

Pretty sure it does too.  You could get it either way.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

DBuck90

Quote from: turkey buster on March 23, 2017, 08:33:28 AM
If I was buying another gun I'd go with the Remington Versa Max Turkey or the SBE turkey model assuming funds were not limited.  On a budget I'd not hesitate to go with the 935 as mentioned. I wish I'd kept the one I had but I got the money to buy my original bottomland 870 out of it.  It  patterned excellent with an SSX and 3.5 LB 6's.
yeah my 870 is also in bottom land I love it I'm shooting a pattern master
Code black with longbeards  2oz #6 and its deadly