turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gun choke shells?

Started by Jerseygti337, March 21, 2017, 06:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerseygti337

What is going on here, I bought an 870 sos supermag with the 23" barrel and shurshot stock and don't seem to be getting a good pattern/numbers no matter what I try. I've deep cleaned and polished the barrel already. I've tried an IC665 choke, jellyhead 660, Carlson ported 665 and the factory hd choke with a bunch of different shells. Is this the best it's gonna do or do I need to invest even more $ in chokes. Here's what I've done so far.

owlhoot

What are you looking for? What kind of numbers?

Jerseygti337

To be perfectly honest, I'm new to turkey guns and turkey hunting in general. It just seems like everything I've tried with this gun is sub par to what is often posted in here with low numbers or gaps.

owlhoot

You hunting or more into numbers. For hunting looks like a few good ones.Magblends at 178
204 with lb 6's and another at 180. Was it cold outside ?
Did you clean while shooting? 3" or 3 1/2"too?

Jerseygti337

Strictly for hunting, it was about 60 degrees out, running a bore snake a few times after every shot and all 3" shells.

MickT

Any of those is a killing pattern at 40 and then some. Get your poi to match poa and you will be in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surehuntsalot

for hunting those would be fine, as stated above get your poa/poi  and you will be set
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Jerseygti337

So assuming all of these can be corrected for poi/poa(adjustable sites) which would you combo would you guys hunt with.  To me, the ic magblend, ic longbeard6 and factory hd choke with long beards looks the best.

Dr Juice

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 21, 2017, 06:54:32 PM
for hunting those would be fine, as stated above get your poa/poi  and you will be set
X2

owlhoot

Quote from: Jerseygti337 on March 21, 2017, 07:50:58 PM
So assuming all of these can be corrected for poi/poa(adjustable sites) which would you combo would you guys hunt with.  To me, the ic magblend, ic longbeard6 and factory hd choke with long beards looks the best.
. Magblends. One other to try is the straight Hevi 7's according to a bunch of shooters on here.

Jerseygti337

Thanks for the replies, I will give the Hevi 7's a try. 

PALongspur

Any of those patterns will kill every gobbler you shoot at.

I'd stop worrying and go hunting.

campcreekfarm

Any of those will work.  It wasnt until these HTL loads and tight chokes and patterning guns that I started to miss turkeys.  The simplest and easiest part of turkey hunting is actually shooting them.  The only way I patterned my shotgun for 25 years was to shoot a  coke/beer can.  I always figured if I got 7 or better pellets in that can then I was ready to go.  Not many turkeys got away back then, ha.

taylorjones20

I agree with the above.  You can kill turkeys with those patterns.  I prefer HTL shot.  If you're not content with the Magblends then I would try the Hevi #7's with the JH .660
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Izzyjoe

If nobody's said it yet, welcome to the site! And I wouldn't get caught up to much in he numbers game, unless you want to spend a lot of money. Cause everyone of those patterns will kill a turkey, even the 110. Just make sure to get it sighted in with the load you're Gona use, and have a great time! I would try some plain old win XX #6's, they have killed a lot of birds.