OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Krylon

Started by Zombie1978, March 18, 2017, 06:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie1978

Who has sprayed their gun? Show pics if you got them. Thinking about doing mine before the season starts.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Izzyjoe

I did my 20ga shurshot stock, I painted it dark green first, and used a sea sponge and blotted black, and brown, and grey primer on it. Turned out pretty good, sorry I'm not smart enough to post pic's, or I would show it off.

Nightfallatdawn

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Player

Looks good Nightfallatdawn! You have the main colors in big enough chunks to break it up at a distance. I see a lot of patterns that look good up close but when you put the gun off a little ways it all looks like one color. Good job!

Ozarks Hillbilly

I really like that pattern design a lot as well Nightfallatdawn. Picture was posted on another thread I had to show some of my buddies.   :icon_thumright:

Tom Foolery

I've painted several of my guns, here's my fav.

Ozarks Hillbilly

AR looks good Tom how did you get that pattern if you don't mind sharing?

spursRus

I used ferns on my 870

dirt road ninja

Tom Foolery

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on March 27, 2017, 10:35:28 AM
AR looks good Tom how did you get that pattern if you don't mind sharing?

Of the ones I have painted it's easier for me to have a light color base coat and use darker colors later.  The AR was done by painting the whole thing khaki and then using OD green, earth brown, flat black, and khaki.  For a pattern I took an old straw broom and cut a handful of straw out as long as I could get it.  I then took a zip tie and tied all the straw together on the end I cut which let the other end fan out.  I then just moved my pattern around on the gun using different colors until it looked good to me.

Here are a couple more I've done.

Tom Foolery

Ozarks Hillbilly

Tom Foolery I really like the way those all of those turned out. Do you matte clear over yours when your happy with paint job? Several buddies have painted there guns mostly a Mossy Oak Bottomland pattern. They tell me its does work best to start with the lightest color and work your way to the darkest color you want to use. I haven't gotten the never up to paint one yet. I have a early 870 SM that the factory camo finish is worn off in several places I have been considering painting it. Thanks for the pics and the info.

Tom Foolery

Thanks

I did leave out the clear coat.  I usually do 3 coats of flat clear coat once everything is dry. 

The dark rifle is my .243 Win.  I started it dark earth and I wish I would have started khaki as it's much easier going light to dark.  Dark to light is hard to get a good look.

I like to use very little black.  I will shadow in some when I'm mostly finished painting but very little.

I use the Krylon Camo paint and Krylon Flat clear.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Tom Foolery , thanks again for all of your advice. Is the stainless rifle a custom? The action looks like it may have started life as a 700 or 40x Remington. The twisted fluted bolt looks sharp nice piece.

Tom Foolery

Not a custom, it's a Remington 700 Titanium in 30/06.  The bolt work is that way from the factory.  It's floated and bedded into a Brown Precision stock, Talley Lightweights, with Leupold 2-7x33 VX2.  Stainless fluted firing pin, aluminum shroud and aluminum trigger guard. Fully loaded with sling it weighs 6lbs 2oz.

The 243 has the same bolt work done by Long Rifles Inc but I installed an oversized bolt knob on it after I got it back.  It's floated and bedded into a B&C Ti stock.