turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question for long time scratchers?

Started by Life of Riley, March 10, 2017, 02:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

What is your favorite scratch box? I only have one, but they are such a neat call, and I've never seen a commercial one available so I think they give you a unique sound in the woods.

EZ

In the past, although I've had a few good scratch boxes, I never used them much in the turkey woods. I'm starting to really appreciate the pure turkey sound these little boxes make as well as the traditional aspect to them.

A good friend of mine , Lee Bowles, just made me a sweet little butternut scratcher that will be in my vest this spring and I'm sure will be the demise of a few longbeards.

Bowguy

I'm not a long time user. I think this'll be my 3rd spring. I started w an SS padauk butternut  now have prob 15, one more on the way. When I first ordered Al from SS said he thought it'd be a go to call for me. He was right, I always have one or two.
First time I used one hunting I was forced to kinda. It was ok as a goal of mine was to call a bird in w one. The night before I was cleaning out my vest n wound up not putting my pot strikers back in. Birds were gobbling a bit off but too close to move n being it was a before work hunt I didn't wanna wet a new mouth call.
Did a few tree yelps,  birds answered. After they flew down I did a fly down, birds answered. A few yelps n maybe a bit of cutting n they came right in. It was super easy. Was it the scratcher? I think it was easy birds but that started my use. Glad it did. I've had a bunch of em n never once sold an SS. Great little calls. Favorites are SS padauk/butternut, yellow heart/ mineral poplar, one I've got on order I've played n it's great too the SS redheart/holly. The first two are normally w me n the new one is getting play time this spring.

crow

I have a couple that sound really good that are mentioned often

I also really like the sound of "the trash mouth hen" by Russell Beard, it's an all cedar call and I have it with me when I hunt

to my ear it's a good sounding call that doesn't get mentioned much

coyote1

I'm not a long time user about 3 years now. ss calls, spring creek, pappy and lonnie gilbert all make great scratchers. I have 1 or 2 from each of these guys and hunt them all. Just like a pot call striker, scratch box striker wood and size make a difference in sound.

paboxcall

Bob Fulcher and Ernie Fetters make sweet, sweet scratch box callers.  Never leave home without them.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

SwampRooster17

I picked up my first scratcher this past winter so I'm new to them but I picked up a redheart holly scratcher from Al and Josh at Unicoi and am very pleased with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gobbler336

in order or  kills recorded,  tom gaskins,  tom crook and a L and L.

Bowguy

Lonnie Gilbert makes a great sounding/looking call too. Personally I like a slightly bigger striker than he provides. I use my SS ones. Fulcher was mentioned I don't have any of his calls but they are beautiful.

Vaughnrp2

Spring Creek makes a great scratch box and it's at a very reasonable  price.

wcerin

Scott Basehore makes a great scratcher. I have his in a cedar and it sings turkey. Scott is a great guy as well.
"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: wcerin on March 23, 2017, 08:11:57 AM
Scott Basehore makes a great scratcher. I have his in a cedar and it sings turkey. Scott is a great guy as well.

As a scratchbox maker I totally agree with this.  I have a couple of Scott's.  His all cedar is probably the best of all my scratchers and I have quite a few.  Scott is a great guy and one of best callmakers around. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

TauntoHawk

SS build a ton of good ones I've got about 5 of Al's I'm partial to his butternut or Holly soundboards and like a purpleheart striker as well as his standard walnut. L&L makes a terrific cedar two sider.

Ive also got good ones from Russell beard, Lonnie Gilbert, and Jimmy schaffer but more than likely on a hunt I have an SS or the L&L for their ease of running. Since I got into scratch boxes I've almost done away with running pot calls and especially when I hunt public land.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

drenalinld

Basehore, S&S, Bullock, Tate Williams, Joe Sherrod

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drenalinld

Here is pic I meant to post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk