OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2 reeds vs. 3 reeds.

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 09, 2017, 05:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Are 3 reed calls really that much harder to blow than 2 reed calls? The two calls that I just got in the mail, both 3 reed, I cannot blow for the life of me. I can yelp on them, but that is it. I can pop my 2 reed call in and do everything...

Am I missing something?

Bowguy

What kind of three reed calls? To me they aren't harder n actually I never use 2 reed except very occasionally as a kee kee call. A lot is going to depend on stretch n thickness of reeds. Some calls are more user friendly than others. All 3 reed calls are not the same

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Bowguy on March 09, 2017, 07:57:15 PM
What kind of three reed calls? To me they aren't harder n actually I never use 2 reed except very occasionally as a kee kee call. A lot is going to depend on stretch n thickness of reeds. Some calls are more user friendly than others. All 3 reed calls are not the same

One of them is a ghost cut and the other is an inverted V. I cut the tape to the same size as my 2 reed calls, and I could play the inverted V a little better. I am still not getting the sound I want out of the ghost cut.

perrytrails

A lot is going to depend on stretch n thickness of reeds. Some calls are more user friendly than others. All 3 reed calls are not the same
I agree, more than 3 reeds and they are tough to run with latex thicker than .004, although some prefer that I don't.

If you have 3 reeds of .003 latex it should be much easier to run than say a 3 reeds of .005 latex.

No matter it is a preference thing. I have a friend who started calling years ago with a heavy latex call, and that's his preference today.

perrytrails

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 09, 2017, 08:38:07 PM

One of them is a ghost cut and the other is an inverted V. I cut the tape to the same size as my 2 reed calls, and I could play the inverted V a little better. I am still not getting the sound I want out of the ghost cut.

Stretch and thickness of latex, is most likely the issue. If you want higher pitch more tongue pressure.

A bat wing cut if run down the center will give a clear note, easy to kee Kee with tight pressure.

To add a little rasp you'll need to manipulate your tongue to the left or right to catch some of the top cut reed, not much is needed to get vibration on the cut reed.                     

It's just something you gotta figure out on your own. Moving tongue forward and backward can change everything to.

It is a musical instrument, some pick it right up, others don't. Takes lots of time and practice.

Greg Massey

2 reed for me...you can do a better tree call on a 2 reed and it takes a lot less air....purrs, clucks and yelps are just better for me on a 2 reed...i'm not a fan of all those cut's and V.....just like to keep it simple with 2 reed...

perrytrails

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 09, 2017, 09:16:39 PM
2 reed for me...you can do a better tree call on a 2 reed and it takes a lot less air....purrs, clucks and yelps are just better for me on a 2 reed...i'm not a fan of all those cut's and V.....just like to keep it simple with 2 reed...
Good example, once you find something that works you stick with it.

Many times I make mouth calls for guys I'll always throw in a 2 reed.

They are easier to run. Clip both ends on the top of a two reed just a little at a time like this...and you get some rasp too.

Just all in what you prefer. For years all I would use is a split V, two simple cuts.

Now I use a combo cut, it's basically a split v, tip trimmed, with one wing cut off. This call will let you Kee on the trimmed wing side, and get that high pitch to start your yelp. Also it's a great cutter style call.

It allows you to go from a smooth clear yelp to a raspy yelp just by moving your tongue to the left more for rasp.

It's a good all around call if you put the time in it, practice. Here is a pic and sound file.

I'm no where close to Scott Ellis, but listen for the sharp cutts and how it goes from a clear yelp to raspy.

https://youtu.be/5Q53ffXpwwY

Gooserbat

Red thickness is as big of a variable as reed count.  I have a couple of 4 reed recipies that are surprisingly easy to play.  I no longer catalog those because so many customers are skeptical of four reed calls.  Personally I'd rather have a high reed count and thin reeds than a thick two reed.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

Great comments from all. 

The number of different calls on the market today make it very difficult,....and very expensive,...for a beginner to try to learn how to use mouth calls.  Often, calls are purchased because somebody heard somebody else say they like a certain call.  Frankly, that means squat in most cases. 

For the most part, beginning mouth callers should stick with calls constructed of thin reed materials,...that is, latex varying from proph (.0025) to .004 or thereabouts.  Calls constructed with two or three-reed combinations of proph and .003 latex are generally your best starting point.  If you are shopping for calls as a beginner and the call-maker does not specify the latex thicknesses used in a call, you should contact them and ask. 

Reed cuts are another story altogether.  Some people's calling mechanics are better suited to certain reed cuts than others.  Not only that, but due to the small but significant variables in call construction, one call may work better as a V or combo cut, whereas the next call (constructed exactly the same way) may work better as a ghost or batwing cut. 

As I heard someone say,...."who knew if was so complicated"?   :o