OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DSD Decoys YES!! (Pic Heavy :)

Started by MK M GOBL, March 04, 2017, 06:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Jrkimbrough on February 01, 2019, 05:21:19 PM
MK, I would really love to see some pictures of your different decoy setups.  I only use decoys about half the time but I would be interested to see actual pictures of your setups and when/why you use one setup over another.

I can do some looking but don't know if I have much in the line of pictures for my sets... They are usually in the background of my hunt pics. I could give you some details to this, I guess I have a set of "rules" I go by for setting decoys "right". It's taken me a while to learn this skill set and I have great success, while they are not for every hunt I do use them a bit. Tools in the Shed.

if you would like to PM me I can give you some details, or if you have specific questions.

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

Here we are for 2019 and my NEW DSD "Strutting Jake" Decoy!!

I have already taken to modifying him for my use, first I will hunt him as a Gobbler, Full Fan and Long Beard. I have re-painted his head color to my "White Headed" Strutter design I developed. I have yet to decide to add the real wings back in, I will hunt him a bit this way but thinking I will. I still have a few other mods to do with the decoy to get him "right" for me.

I bought this decoy as he is a much smaller stature then my "Full Sized" DSD Strutter, mainly I wanted the portability of the smaller size Strutter, at times the full sized can be a bit to carry...

Well here's the NEW "lil' PUFFY" Decoy I made!!
"He's Dead using the White Head"

(Finally got pic to post)
MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

Have been putting the DSD's to work this year during the WI Learn to Hunt, Youth Season and WI Opener!! Couple of kills over my NEW DSD "Jake" Strutter that I Gobblerized and added my White Headed design to!

First Pics are from Learn to Hunt!

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

And Youth Season with "The Girls"!!

The twins firsts and LiL' Puffy working it.

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

My friend Jen with the bow and lil' Puffy, & Kaylinn from youth season!!

MK M GOBL

tomstopper

Doing an awesome job taking the kids out. Congrats brother, you rock..... (Sorry not trying to get off topic here )

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Quote from: tomstopper on April 18, 2019, 05:14:19 AM
Doing an awesome job taking the kids out. Congrats brother, you rock..... (Sorry not trying to get off topic here )

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Thanks and not even "off topic" to me :) it's all about turkey hunting and getting the kids & newbies out there is part of that for me!

MK M GOBL

oakraidia

I'm planning on taking someone out and trying to get them their fist turkey. I've got a field scouted that the turkeys frequent, but the only trees on the field edge would have us facing directly into the sun in the blind. Not exactly the best. The other option is putting the blind in the middle of the field to have the sun at our back. As far as decoys I've got an upright hen, feeding hen, 1/4 strut jake and a full strut. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Quote from: oakraidia on April 22, 2019, 04:23:32 PM
I'm planning on taking someone out and trying to get them their fist turkey. I've got a field scouted that the turkeys frequent, but the only trees on the field edge would have us facing directly into the sun in the blind. Not exactly the best. The other option is putting the blind in the middle of the field to have the sun at our back. As far as decoys I've got an upright hen, feeding hen, 1/4 strut jake and a full strut. Any suggestions?

So that blind can be set in and open field, back of blind to the sun and in a "diamond" to decoy set. If you have a point of entry down I would set 30-35 yards from that point. If you plan to set all your decoys out your strutter is closest to you at 15 yards and just to strong side of center. You will set your Jake as a sub to this and 10-15 feet of strutter to strong side. Upright hen is set 5-6 feet from strutter opposite side of Jake, the feeding hen then can be set another 5 yards out and between Jake and Strutter. A few things to keep in mind is you shooting path, don't line up decoys so the you are shooting another in the background of your "kill" spots. I always leave elbow room between decoys and never face them all the same way. With the shotgun the "Facing" the decoy to direction doesn't come in play as much... Not like what I set for bow.

If you haven't seen my posts on the White Headed Strutter I developed might take a read he works!
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,85559.msg829423.html#msg829423

Hope this helps, if you have more questions just ask.

MK M GOBL

yelpy

So would it help to paint the dsd 1/4 strut Jake's head more white also?

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

oakraidia

Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 22, 2019, 09:42:59 PM
Quote from: oakraidia on April 22, 2019, 04:23:32 PM

So that blind can be set in and open field, back of blind to the sun and in a "diamond" to decoy set. If you have a point of entry down I would set 30-35 yards from that point. If you plan to set all your decoys out your strutter is closest to you at 15 yards and just to strong side of center. You will set your Jake as a sub to this and 10-15 feet of strutter to strong side. Upright hen is set 5-6 feet from strutter opposite side of Jake, the feeding hen then can be set another 5 yards out and between Jake and Strutter. A few things to keep in mind is you shooting path, don't line up decoys so the you are shooting another in the background of your "kill" spots. I always leave elbow room between decoys and never face them all the same way. With the shotgun the "Facing" the decoy to direction doesn't come in play as much... Not like what I set for bow.

If you haven't seen my posts on the White Headed Strutter I developed might take a read he works!
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,85559.msg829423.html#msg829423

Hope this helps, if you have more questions just ask.

MK M GOBL
I'll give it a try, thanks!

MK M GOBL

Quote from: yelpy on April 22, 2019, 10:01:52 PM
So would it help to paint the dsd 1/4 strut Jake's head more white also?

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Nope, Jake stays red. I am using the White Head Strutter as a dominant decoy, but he is in breeding mode not at the fight stage. The Jake is set as a subordinate in this, leave him red.

MK M GOBL