Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

turkey guns in a nutshell or should I say shot shell?

Started by reflexl, March 03, 2017, 06:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

It would be great if turkey gun patterning and competition shooting distracted people from being in the turkey woods but I have a feeling that anyone going through the time and effort to develop an above average turkey gun are avid turkey hunters. Shortage of people out there locating turkey ground and chasing turkeys is not the case everywhere I have been in the country. Keep in mind there are folks on this website that competition shoot and they are the best in the country and world champions as well.
    The money spent on shells, chokes etc is a drop in the bucket when it comes to the money spent on leases, camps, guided hunts, and traveling around hunting public ground. The hunting industry as a whole has people spending a ridiculous amount of money on the newest products that are a must have in allot of people's minds. Look at deer hunting, cameras, feeders, expensive shooting houses, $250.00 lock ons, outrageous lease prices, $1000.00 bows, supplements etc. If they come out with a product and advertise it on hunting shows, people will buy it. Turkey hunting doesn't touch the cost of deer, elk, moose, and allot of other hunting out there.
     Discussed this with a landowner in the Midwest and he told me in a very common sense way. "Any man willing to put an $8.00 shell in a shotgun is subject to pay just about anything to lease land or buy a hunt". He followed that with "Crazy".

BottomLand54

Quote from: Longshanks on March 05, 2017, 08:54:41 AM
   It would be great if turkey gun patterning and competition shooting distracted people from being in the turkey woods but I have a feeling that anyone going through the time and effort to develop an above average turkey gun are avid turkey hunters. Shortage of people out there locating turkey ground and chasing turkeys is not the case everywhere I have been in the country. Keep in mind there are folks on this website that competition shoot and they are the best in the country and world champions as well.
    The money spent on shells, chokes etc is a drop in the bucket when it comes to the money spent on leases, camps, guided hunts, and traveling around hunting public ground. The hunting industry as a whole has people spending a ridiculous amount of money on the newest products that are a must have in allot of people's minds. Look at deer hunting, cameras, feeders, expensive shooting houses, $250.00 lock ons, outrageous lease prices, $1000.00 bows, supplements etc. If they come out with a product and advertise it on hunting shows, people will buy it. Turkey hunting doesn't touch the cost of deer, elk, moose, and allot of other hunting out there.
     Discussed this with a landowner in the Midwest and he told me in a very common sense way. "Any man willing to put an $8.00 shell in a shotgun is subject to pay just about anything to lease land or buy a hunt". He followed that with "Crazy".

Lol that's funny you are realistically spot on! Couldn't agree more. My comment about finding.places to hunt etc was just poking fun. It's hard to find anywhere to hunt anymore. And when you do jack Jim and Joe are hunting it as well!

Longshanks

Yea, I don't know if we will ever see it like it was in the late 80's and 90's.  Too much interest in it driving land prices up and limited ground to hunt due to timber harvest and land managers not interested in conservation of the wild turkey. The public grounds that have turkeys are over run by hunters. Well I guess that was what NWTF wanted and they got it. More turkey hunters... hoping for better conservation and it hasn't happened in the last 20-25 years.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: owlhoot on March 04, 2017, 10:58:59 PM
Quote from: Tail Feathers on March 04, 2017, 10:41:09 PM
It was expensive enough to find a good pattern, I wonder what some folks have spent chasing a perfect one?
I'm quite satisfied with my guns and patterns.  I hope the don't stop making my favorite loading.
If your really satisfied with what you got now I would be buying them up .
I have enough to last me a few years now.  I add a box or three anytime I run across them. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

01Foreman400

The lesson I see here is buy a lifetime supply of the ammo that you're happy with because they will enventually stop making it.  Or load your own and don't worry about anything else.   ;D
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

Longshanks

Quote from: 01Foreman400 on March 06, 2017, 12:27:58 AM
The lesson I see here is buy a lifetime supply of the ammo that you're happy with because they will enventually stop making it.  Or load your own and don't worry about anything else.   ;D

I agree..that's what I did. Found good patterns with Win XX 3/2/6's and bought 12 boxes of 10. Did the same thing with Hevi 13 6's and 7's and bought allot of boxes when they were 16.99 a box of 5.  Few years ago I found them for 19.99 a box and bought more. All the going to the patterning board is done for the most part.

owlhoot

Quote from: Longshanks on March 06, 2017, 09:27:41 AM

I agree..that's what I did. Found good patterns with Win XX 3/2/6's and bought 12 boxes of 10. Did the same thing with Hevi 13 6's and 7's and bought allot of boxes when they were 16.99 a box of 5.  Few years ago I found them for 19.99 a box and bought more. All the going to the patterning board is done for the most part.
Really lol New guns keep coming out and it seemed like you were a shooting fool! ;)

Longshanks

Quote from: owlhoot on March 06, 2017, 07:28:18 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on March 06, 2017, 09:27:41 AM

Really lol New guns keep coming out and it seemed like you were a shooting fool! ;)

Figured out what loads my guns shoot best and bought allot of boxes of those shells.