Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

turkey guns in a nutshell or should I say shot shell?

Started by reflexl, March 03, 2017, 06:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

I have been rethinking turkey guns. For the most part just what I expect and have expected to get out of them. I have been to the place and obsessed over shooting the perfect 40 yard pattern only to find fault with a pattern that some consider perfect. I have spend more money than I care to admit in the pretense that I was achieving a noble goal. Guns, chokes, ammo and time. Many of you know exactly of which I speak. Nearly 20 years ago I bought a 835. This was after I had already been having success with a 20 gauge. Never had a problem using the old Federal 1 5/8 #6 3" 20g that they claimed they never made. I lament the day I shot the last shell. It was an honest 40 yard turkey load. I listened to my buddies who had all bought the mighty 835 and the original Stardot choke. I had to have one. I could have stopped there. The also no longer made Federal premium 3" 2oz pre-flight control load was a match made in heaven with that combo. Everyone in this area shot the same thing. Turkeys were dying and all was well with the world.

At this point things went south. Federal quit the load and I began a quest for something that shot as perfect and even patterned as it did. I bought guns, chokes, every new shell known to man and more junk that I didn't really need in the name of fighting a war against turkeys. I bought the vaunted mag-blends. The atrocious Hornady load crossed my thresh hold. Long beards. Rios. White Lightning. You name it.

What  have I learned? Pursuing Eldorado Is not for the faint of heart, light of pocket nor the soft of shoulder. Learn to call better and keep up the insanity of pursuing the perfect gun and load.

Happy

I totally agree with you. I have been shooting the same gun for the last 16 years and same choke tube for about 14. I tried a few others but the star dot has stayed. It has worked well for me when I do my part and I will keep running it till it dies. Set up a 20 for the oldest boy it with the federal hevi weight it's a 40 yard gun. I have toyed with the idea getting a nice 28 guage over/under and setting it up with tss for my youngest but haven't really thought hard about it. Could see me gravitating towards that one day. Don't see the point in tss in any gauge above that for my purposes. Not knocking the pattern junkies but it was just never my thing. Long as it kills to 40 with a little wiggle room I am happy. Really strive to get them into at least 30. Don't always happen though.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

MK M GOBL

I built my turkey gun better than 20 years ago and still has the same scope and choke I built her with but I did change the stock out for a ShurShot. I did all the patterning of shells I was being taught at the time...
What I figured out was how to call and kill bird up close, less than 20 yards and more in the 15-17 yard range. I have not come across a gun, choke or shell combo not capable of killing a turkey at this range and all the way down to the little ole .410.

I put my skills to use in scouting, setting up right, along with calling and woodsmanship to make it all come together.

MK M GOBL

BottomLand54

Wonderful post reflexl. We get carried away, latest and greatest and most of it is a waste of money...... Hate to see all the money I've blown on things I didn't need or didn't use lol. All my birds have been killed within 17 steps. Decoys at 15-20 set still, work him in. If he's a shooter pull the trigger if he ain't it sure was fun working him or should I say him working me lol.

40 yds sure I want a good pattern at 40, but what does it look like at 7,13,17,23, etc is it a slug hole?

Sometimes tight 40 yds patterns are really not the best, not.knocking anyone who chases that or counts numbers. I want a pattern that will kill birds now win a bead hole counting contest! Just my opinion! :z-winnersmiley:

Izzyjoe

It's not just on here, but I've spoken with several people that have been lured into the "perfect pattern" obsession. Well that all looks good on paper, my granddad had a phase he used about thing like this, it's 90% Indian 10% bow! Now shooting patterns is a fun thing to do, cause I've squandered a small fortune my self on chokes, shells and shotguns, but the fact is that they can be killed with basic equipment that was used 50yrs ago! Turkey hunting has changed, but turkeys have not. There are exceptions were a fellow needs a bit more range, such as open land, were shots tend to be longer cause its hard to judge distance, at least it is for me. But for me turkey hunting isn't all about killing one, it's about how good I can call one in, and if he won't come in, I'll change tactics, or hunt him another day.  A bad in the woods, is better than any day spent at work! Same goes for fishing, or deer hunting.

Buford

I have never saw anybody who just put old toms beak in the dirt run over or say to his shotgun, wow you sure gave the hunt of my life. It's more about keeping the memory of it all. Each hunt is different!!! I look at the turkey as if it's my first. The closer they get in your face the better and the harder I got to work the better. I want a mountain turkey not a flat land rookie. The gun didn't kill him, I did!!        Buford

longislandloco

Amen to everything said here!.......I learned, down to just two shotguns now.......and much happier to boot.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

potter

Ive always hunted withold fixed choke 10 over under no 4s for years.thought I buy new gun and choke and get better nos.been chasing  numbers, buying chokes and ammo . Waisted a ton of cash to have a better pattern. I guess its good for the econmy though!

Longshanks

I learned over the years that Winchester #6 turkey loads in standard lead is all you need to turkey hunt. Reliable and no drastic changes in them from year to year. Easy to get good patterns out of allot of chokes on the market. Hunted with the old gold/blue box fed 3/2/6's for allot of years out of a Hastings choke. They were bad to the bone. I am sold on Hevi 13 as well in the 3/2/6's and 3/2/7's. Not to bash other loads but as far as turkey loads go, several of those mentioned in the first post are complete crap. This website has prevented me from jumping at every shell that hits the market. The members here will let you know in a short period of time if the shells coming out are worth trying based on the gun/ choke you hunt.  I have learned to keep it simple.

TrackeySauresRex

Ahhhhhhhh..... The old dark maroon shells from Federal. Those were the days. They were my favorite as well! Great post...

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Double B

Yep I like the old Federal grand slams too, great shell.   Longbeards are what I'm using now, they exceed my expectations. 
Followed by buzzards

owlhoot

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on March 04, 2017, 03:11:31 PM
Ahhhhhhhh..... The old dark maroon shells from Federal. Those were the days. They were my favorite as well! Great post...

Good stuff right there!
Not to tight close and enough for the long shot.  Great hunting loads.

Tail Feathers

It was expensive enough to find a good pattern, I wonder what some folks have spent chasing a perfect one?
I'm quite satisfied with my guns and patterns.  I hope the don't stop making my favorite loading.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

owlhoot

Quote from: Tail Feathers on March 04, 2017, 10:41:09 PM
It was expensive enough to find a good pattern, I wonder what some folks have spent chasing a perfect one?
I'm quite satisfied with my guns and patterns.  I hope the don't stop making my favorite loading.
If your really satisfied with what you got now I would be buying them up .

BottomLand54

If we spent half the time on scouting and finding new places to hunt as we do worried about numbers in a circle we could shoot .410s with 5shot heavy game loads cause we would have turkey land and turkeys everywhere! :OGturkeyhead: