OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bottom barrel-over\under- 3rd degree advice...

Started by TheSportsman, March 01, 2017, 07:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

I've got a Beretta 686 onyx that I love turkey hunting with. I got my long range barrel, top barrel, where I want it with 3" nitro 4x5x7s and a rhino .660. I'm fixing to work on my close range barrel. I'm either gunna go factory improved mod or factory full. I use the bottom barrel for me 10-25yd work. I was leaning on trying some federal ,3rd degree. They say it's lil more open and forgiving. What's your thoughts? I was either gunna go 3rd degree or put a 3" Magnum blend in it. Had another guy recommend 3" 2oz hevi 7s for pellet count. Which one would you have a tendency to go with? I can get the 3rd degrees pretty cheap. Thanks fellas

howl

I have top and bottom the same. On close birds, just aim lower for a bigger target.

BandedSpur

I shoot a Beretta 686 also, but mine is an ultralight. If you are only interested in 10-25 yds, why not just shoot a quality trap load of 7.5s? They have more than enough pellets and penetration to handle those distances with very little recoil.

Izzyjoe

I'll second the use of light loads, and a imp. cyl choke and 1 1/8 7.5's will work great under 30yds.

MickT

I'd load something with some oomph. I'd hate to realize I had gotten my barrels mixed up in the heat of the moment and taken a 40 yard shot with a trap load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the Ward

I would use the imp. modified choke and 3" 4 shot. Will work for the short shots with plenty of pattern density and yet still be open enough to give you a margin for error.  And if something should go wrong with a longer shot with the top barrel, and he takes off running or tries to fly, you can anchor him.

TheSportsman

I've got some old pre fcw federal 3" 2oz 4s that might be good?

BandedSpur

Quote from: MickT on March 02, 2017, 12:37:04 AM
I'd load something with some oomph. I'd hate to realize I had gotten my barrels mixed up in the heat of the moment and taken a 40 yard shot with a trap load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why I load TSS 9s in both barrels, 1.625 oz in the tight barrel, and 1.25 in the open barrel. Sumtoy .675 for the long stuff and Lt. Mod for the close stuff. Open barrel good to 40 yds.  ;)

I load the heavier recoil load in the bottom barrel to help mitigate recoil. The open barrel is on top.

TheSportsman

Come to think of it, I've got some old active penetrators that was my dad's go to load. 3" 2 1\4 nickel plated number 5s. I'd hate to shoot them BC they were dad's and I lost him in 2012 to cancer but then again, it'd make him smile if I shot his shells. Heck, the o\u was his turkey gun. Just feel like he's with me when I got it over my shoulder  :jesus-cross:

CMR

I'd roll with something stout.  I'm going to be setting up a 20 gauge O/U as my next project.  TSS in the top with a tight choke, and probably HW 7's in the bottom with whatever will give me the best pattern at 10-25 yards