turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hanks calls

Started by 3bailey3, February 26, 2017, 10:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3bailey3

After seeing that he won the DD Adams award again last Saturday night, I placed a order for the call that night, I thought there would be a wait for the call but he emailed me Wednesday and the call will be here Monday. I got his other DD Adams winning caller that is awesome, can't believe not more talk on here about his calls.

tomfooleryy

In addition to that he makes a good 1 piece dymondwood striker as well

Jbird22

I've been thinking the same thing 3bailey3. I know if a certain few were to win the DD you wouldn't be able to get a call from them for 2-3 years.  :TooFunny: Anyway, I just ordered his Paduak Aluminum. It'll be my first Hanks call. I really liked the soundfile of it that was posted. I thought it had a good sound. I can't wait to get it!

vt35mag

I recently picked up both the Zebrawood bronzed glass over aluminum and the Padauk aluminum over glass.  Both great calls, but I think the Zebrawood is my new favorite pot call.  Like it enough that I bought a spare, just incase I have any mid season mishaps.

Happy hooker

Not to take anything away from his work his calls are gorgeous,,but is it has much the calls or that the Hanks family themselves are just fantastic callers in competition.

greentag

They don't call in the completions,or at least the one where the dad Adams award is given,call makers donate the calls they want in it and they are judged by a bunchh of chosen judges.those calls are also laid out on a table where the public can play th also and bid on the calls.with that said I have his paduke alum. And a limited addition Osage glass call with a gourds feather in it,limited to 50 calls.it is an awesome call, the glass seams different than most you really have to condition it with the type of sand paper he sends with it for the best sound,once you have it conditioned right it may be the best pot I own and I have a lot.

Tom Dooley

I have 5 Hanks calls and I like them all. I killed turkey last year using the Zebrawood glass and Paduak slate. I picked up the Osage slate, Cherry Bomb glass and the Paduak aluminum at the convention.

Zebrawood glass: Maybe my favorite Call
Cherry glass: Maybe equal to the Zebrawood glass but with a little higher pitch. I like it a lot.
Paduak slate: The highest pitch slate I have played. Great high pitch yelps and cutts. Produces a great fighting purr.
Osage slate: A little more mellow than paduak. Maybe my favorite all around slate.
Paduak Aluminum: Very nice call. Very high pitch.

husker

I'm about ready to pull the proverbial trigger on buying his DD winner myself.  Can you let us know what you think when it arrives? 

Clardh

I only own one Hanks and it's his signature Zebrawood glass over aluminun. I absolutely love that call. I think people don't talk much about him because you can get his calls relatively easy. You can order them from Midwest Turkey supply and other stores. It seems, and I'm guilty of the same thought process, if you can purchase a call and get it in a few days that it's somewhat less desirable. Everyone must have it or it's borderline mass produced. I think we get caught up looking for that diamond in the rough, meanwhile it's right there staring at us!

Hunter1979

These three were in the mail today.

Hanks Padauk Aluminum DD award winner

Halloran Walnut Wenge Aluminum

Lonzo Padauk Stoned Aluminum

3bailey3

Very nice haul Hunter, I just got in from work and opened my calls. I love it, it screams and raspy, I also got one of the limited Goulds, #39 but have not opened it, was thinking of just putting it up, maybe! I will say this I like his zebrawood call glass over aluminum better, I have not hunted it yet but it has some thing special in the pitch. His calls also look great but they also fit your hand like naturally!

beakbuster10

I've got his osage goulds limited edition #10. As pretty as it is, and collectible as it's become, there is no way I cannot hunt the call. I have handled a lot of great calls but that thing is in a league all it's own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter1979

I have the zebrawood too.  It's a great call.  I'm going to have to play them side by side to determine the winner.

I will say out of the 3 aluminum I got today, there's something about the Hanks that stands out.  It's got a little higher pitch and is louder than the Lonzo, but I feel like their tone is similar.  The Halloran has the deepest tone of the 3. 

Hunter1979

You guys are making me want that Goulds...

beakbuster10

Quote from: Hunter1979 on February 27, 2017, 09:02:26 PM
You guys are making me want that Goulds...
If you find one, buy it. You won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk