turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cocobolo Glass pot call

Started by bornagain64, February 25, 2017, 07:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bornagain64

I just finished this Cocobolo pot call to add to my new collection of Cocobolo calls. Cocobolo is a different kind of wood to work with. It has a wierd smell and made me feel like I had a soar throat. And then trying to apply a finish to the wood. I have a great mentor and he walked me thru it. I do not think I will be turning any more Cocobolo anytime soon.

southern_leo

Be careful with cocobolo wood I've read it can be toxic. For future reference may want to wear a mask when turning it. I have no experience with it, just relaying info I've read. Pot looks good though good job.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

doublespurs21

he is correct, the dust from sanding is bad for your lungs,,,,,,,,,,  still nice looking calls

mgm1955

John Sinclair CustomCalls

Nice job. Yes... there are several materials I have strong reactions to and must take precautions with!!

New Yorker

I believe other species in the rosewood family are toxic as well. Cocobolo is extremely oily so a CA finish is the norm. A lot of turners do not put any finish on it at all. The natural oils in the wood act as a finish.

mastevt

Beautiful  work!  Coco is definitely a smelly wood to work with.  Always wear a mask while turning!  You can get a nice finish on it by applying a thin 1st coat of CA, then follow up with minwax Polyacrylic.  Buff between coats with 0000 steel wool.  It comes out real nice!

Bowhuntr73

Beautiful pot! Good info on the toxic wood I had no idea.

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

bornagain64

Thanks for the kind words. I did wear a mask for most of the turning and sanding. I used the couple coats of Shellac and a couple coates of minwax Lacquer for the finish.
I will post a sound file up in a couple days.

When I blow the Cocobolo Hooter from Mr. Harrison, I can taste and smell the cocobolo dust. Lol

pauld

Sounds like you have an allergy to it as well. Be careful as the more you are exposed to it the more severe your reactions can become.

silverspur

Like the looks of all those calls! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

bornagain64

sixbird