OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which Long Beard Load?

Started by Tom Dooley, February 23, 2017, 05:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Dooley

I am going to try Long Beards and seen that they offer two loads for each shot size. 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 in the 3" shell. Which load do you recommend? in

Bowguy

At of my Ithaca the factory choke does great w the 1-7/8. Choke is .675. The Indian Creek .665 seems to shoot better w the 1-3/4. Imo the more shot the better if it doesn't blow out so that gun is set for the 1-7/8

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Tom Dooley on February 23, 2017, 05:34:52 PM
I am going to try Long Beards and seen that they offer two loads for each shot size. 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 in the 3" shell. Which load do you recommend? in

You really pose a great question. What I've seen both at my range and in competition with those shells is that some guns do better with one than the other. I've seen 2 identical guns in every way, including the chokes that responded differently to those shells and were very consistent in that response. The really good news is that both of them do a great job.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

tha bugman

one of my guns shoots the #5's better another shoots the #6's or just about any thing else you stick in it.

maytom

So far I just have the 1 3/4oz. loads in #4's. (I was always a #5 guy, but since the #4's pattern so great, I decided to stick with the higher energy pellets in the #4's.) That being said, I want to try the 1 7/8oz. loads in #4's as well but can't find them anywhere????

tha bugman

Quote from: maytom on February 24, 2017, 10:22:10 AM
So far I just have the 1 3/4oz. loads in #4's. (I was always a #5 guy, but since the #4's pattern so great, I decided to stick with the higher energy pellets in the #4's.) That being said, I want to try the 1 7/8oz. loads in #4's as well but can't find them anywhere????
I had a killer pattern of 3.5" #4's last year.....only problem was that at 40 yards I had no halo....I decided against it and didn't even bother looking at it at 20....I gotta have some cheating room..