turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Oklahoma Bird Down

Started by Rob Robertson, April 08, 2011, 10:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Robertson

Found this ole boy last Saturday while scouting. He had 9 hens with him.  Roosted him Tuesday evening still with his 9 hens. Set up on him for the Oklahoma opener on Wednesday.  He was in his strutting field when 7 jakes showed up.  I got to watch him fight off all 7.  Called up a couple of his hens but could not get him to come.  Went back Wednesday afternoon and he still had 5 hens with him.  Still could not do anything with him.  Had to be in the office on Thursday.  My mind however was not on work.  Went back to his strutting field this morning. He gobbled a couple of times from the roost.  He flew down about 150 yards from me with 5 hens.  Over the course of an hour He was down to 1 hen.  I picked up my call for the first time. Two clucks and the hen started cutting and cutting and coming my way.  Glad I hid well because that ole gal was pizzed and looking for me.  Took the ole boy for ever to come and see what all the fuss was about. When he got to 15 yards I let lose.  Nice bird.  My personal 10th limb hanger.  11 inch beard.  Both spurs 1 1/8 inch with a nice curve to them.  Good thing turkeys cant hear Your heart beat.  I would have been busted for sure this morning.

Hognutz

Way to go, Rob. We all like them to come easily, but there is something to be said about working hard for one, as well. Congrats on a very nice bird..Mike :icon_thumright:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

tnturkeyman28

Big Boys Custom Calls
" I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Owner of Big Boys Custom Call making Custom Turkey Calls to Order. Mossy Oak Pro Staff The Good lord has Blessed me far more than I deserve. Philippians 4:13

hobbes

Congrats!  Nothing like sticking with a bird and it all coming together. 

sugarray

Very nice bird.  congrats!!
:anim_65: :anim_65:

bayou gobbler

JVA54

socalturkeyman

Congrats ! that Birds Is a looker!!! :you_rock: :z-guntootsmiley:
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

Rio Fan

Great story and one heck of a beautiful bird - congrats!  :icon_thumright:

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Ol'Mossy

Nice bird and story, congrats  :icon_thumright:

trkycaller

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Gold Spur

Congrats!!! Very nice bird.... :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

briancady