turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 vs 1187

Started by WVU, February 21, 2017, 11:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVU

I was looking at doing a build with a 1187 compact, but, some searching around seems to show ALOT more talk with people using the 870...I did find good things about the 1187 but it got me curious if there is a performance advantage or mostly personal preference.

Performance or just personal preference?

Greg Massey

We just like building the 870 youth with 21 inch barrel 20 gauge, weight and moveability is a lot of the reason and the youth is the only one you can get the 21 inch barrel...cheaper also in building the gun..

SumToy

1187 will put up better numbers with federal shells if everything is the same. 
Now 870 is not as heavy. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

VaBoy

11-87 will have slightly less recoil if you got youngsters shooting it.

Buford

The 870 will cost a lot less. The 11-87 has gas ports and a o-ring that should be replaced every few years but that's not much cost. Just a little more to clean a 11-87. I have both and it's what you want to carry each day. Both great guns. I would do some research with remington and ask if you can get something that's already drilled and taped if you plan on a red dot or scope. I got my 11-87 drilled and taped for $30.00. The quick follow up shot is great if you are like me and shoot the bark off a tree five feet in front of you like I did last year. As you already know they don't make barrels that shoot around trees or saplings. Both guns are great to hunt with.     Buford

Greg Massey

Your really looking at 2 different guns.. pump gun's has it's place just like a auto has it's place. It's just what you want to carry and hunt with...  Like starting a kid , i wouldn't place auto gun in his or her hand learning to turkey hunt.  So with Auto you need to hunt a little more safer ...Regardless make sure of your target.

WVU

I currently have an 870 youth that was my first gun given to my by my father. I'd like to have a dedicated 20ga for turkey but I don't want to modify the gun he gave me. That's why I'm leaning towards the 11-87 (plus I can grab one for $529). I like the idea of a different gun and have no issues with the maintenance/cleaning aspect.

Greg Massey makes a great point with a not starting a kid on an auto. I would be likely be staring him/her on my first gun (870) then moving them up to this auto once they show proper/safe gun handling.

Thanks again for the input/insight.

owlhoot

The auto will kick less than the pump.
Turn it into a single shot by only loading one shell. That said I ?? have the 870 20 gauge and son has been shooting it for 12 years now for turkey hunting. He shoots auto for wing shooting.
When I can sneak it out , I do.
Just bought a Weatherby auto 20 gauge. Maybe I won't have too .lol