OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

choke question - Jellyhead vs Carlson vs ?.....?

Started by POSSUM BEND, February 21, 2017, 02:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSSUM BEND

I'm shooting a Rem 870 youth with 21" barrel and using Fed HW #7.  I've been using a Jellyhead (older model) for the last 2 seasons and killed 5 birds and a friend killed a bird with my gun as well.  3 of the 6 kills have been near or just past 40 yards, so I know it will do the job.  I shot it on paper pretty extensively last year and was getting 110-130 pellets in a 10" circle at a measured 40 yards.  I've also shot Hevishot Magblends and got similar numbers, but I will hunt with HW #7 for the next several years since I bought 5 boxes.   

Based on my reading here, I don't need to be shooting a ported choke with the Fed. FC wad, though I've never had any problems or noticed blown patterns.   

So here is the question.  Should I switch to a Carlson, or Tru-Lock or other?  I don't want a super tight pattern and I don't really want to spend $75-80 for a choke.  I'd like to have 140-150 in a 10" circle.  I'm more concerned with killing from 5-45 yards and don't care about killing paper or chasing big numbers.   

Thoughts?  Should I just leave it alone and don't fix what isn't broke? 

Dtrkyman

Likely the best choke may be the sumtoy, carlsons are cheaper and can throw some great patterns. Unfortunately each gun is different, with sumtoy at least you have the option to swap for another choke if your not pleased with the first one.

BowBendr

Carlsons, Jebs and Trulock will also let you swap out if you're not satisfied.
It's not hard at all to get the Rems to shoot good, that's why I look at my "cheaper options" first...never know....

turkeykiller41

I have the same setup with a RSF lead only choke tube and I average 150s.