turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Call numbers 4 & 5 and some advice needed

Started by mranum, April 07, 2011, 11:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mranum

Getting the hang of making these things now.  The Walnut is the 4th one I've made so far and by far the best sounding with slate over glass.  The Maple, I put blasted glass over a glass soundboard and turned the striker out of maple too.  Never played with a glass one before and I think I need to make a different striker as the Maple one just don't seem to cut it for sound unless I'm not treating it right.  How rough do you keep the tip?

For those of you with glass on glass experience, what would be your choice for striker wood?  I have Oak, Cherry, Walnut, Ash, and of course Maple to choose from. 

Cut*N*Run

They look really nice. In my experience, the blasted glass seems to be pretty mellow anyway, and the soft maple doesn't have enough energy in it to help. I get much better results at a 3" size. You may be able to get more out of that combo by changing some of the call dimensions. Also, sanding the glass will help. I usually sand down until it feels like 50/50 sanded vs blasted if that makes sense. For strikers, I get more pop out of purpleheart, ash, and apple. Apple is interesting because it gives really strong yelps, but they stay at a medium pitch.

Just my thoughts, may not be the right ones. Good job though!

mranum

Thanks for the input!   :you_rock:  My strikers are about the size of a pencil, does the mass of the dowel have much impact on glass?  I'll have to play with some sizing to see if I get much different sounds.

The problem with being new to something is that you don't know what it is that you don't know if that makes sense.

smurf

:welcomeOG:
I was taught that the striker should be around a 1/4" and the dowel section should be about 2/3 of the overall striker.   that said is just a starting point and experiment from there.  The weight of the striker does make a difference and where you hold the striker when using also makes a difference.   Dogwood also makes a great sound ing call and seems to be louder too.   But that may be just me.   there is my 2 cents worth.  Mike
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

stone road turkey calls

Try red elm for your striker on glass, it's real dense and sounds good. you can find this wood and others from got wood @ turningblanks.net.

gary
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

TN-Hunter

I like purple heart, Hickory ,oak  Around 5/16 O.D.

mranum

I haven't had time to get back in the shop yet but should I be hollowing out the ends of the strikers some?

smurf

Quote from: mranum on April 16, 2011, 07:58:43 AM
I haven't had time to get back in the shop yet but should I be hollowing out the ends of the strikers some?
I have hollowed out the strikers before and they sometimes make a difference but not always for the better.  Like everything else the depth of the hole, width, etc. will change the pitch.  Best I can offer is experiment on a few and see.  Seems to do better on denser woods like osage, dogwood. 
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.