OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What kind of sound?

Started by doepee, April 07, 2011, 09:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doepee

What kind of sound do you guys prefer most in your pot calls?  In slate I don't like a high pitch. I prefer a more natural sound with a good break and some rasp on the end..  Most glass calls that I have are usually higher pitched and raspy which is what I usually prefer in glass... some of my glass though are waaaay out there.. ;D

Danger DAve

I'm pretty new to calling, but it seems to me that a good glass call can sound great but be hard to tame.  I may be totally off base, but that's how it seems to me.  Slate seems more forgiving.  Maybe I fail at proper conditioning on the glass.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

mossy835

doepee

I hope they have turkey in them, I was just wondering what everyone likes to hear or prefers for sound in their calls...  I have learned when buying custom calls some have turkey and some don't!!!   :icon_thumright:

Cut*N*Run

I like that nasally sound whether it's clear or raspy. Don't know how to describe it, but I know it when I hear it.

Crutch

DK if I can describe it accurately but I like a medium pitch that I can change either by moving to the outside edge or closer to the middle and/or striker material. I don't care for high pitch, I like a clean rasp rather than a deep rattling rasp. I also want one to say "I'm such a lonely hen". I built two mahagonys that work that way and when my buddy is in the distance, I question wether it is him actually calling. It doesn't sound as good when you are running it, but from a distance, it is the real thing. Opening morning I texted him and asked if a hen had come in on top of him. The old tom would only march up and down the hollow so far but gobble every time to his calling. Slate over Glass. Two days later, I pulled in a hen and talked with her for 20 minutes while she circled us, desperately wanting to hook up with another hen. She actually gobbled 3 times. I though she was a jake at first. I probably limit my success but I am really stuck on that lonesome hen sound.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble: