OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

space heater/ secondary heat

Started by tra_cline, February 10, 2011, 01:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinkpickle

Quote from: West Augusta on February 10, 2011, 02:44:46 PM
If you have land you can install a geothermal heat pump.  Basically you bury a heck of a lot of pipe in your yard and pump water and antifreeze through it.  That picks up the heat from the ground. They can be used up north.

+1  And depending on your soil type, they can drill some pretty deep wells (300+ feet) and bury the pipe vertically if you have a small lot.  They're expensive, but they supposedly save money in the long run.

TnTurk

Go to Lowes and get you one or two of those oil filled radiator heaters for about $40 dollars each. Just plug them into a wall outlet, adjust the thermostat to the desired temp and in a little while you'll have heat.

De'Longhi Oil Filled Radiator
Item #: 35277 Model #: TRH0715L
$39.98

VAHUNTER

i have a oil furnce but it has not been run for 3 years. i bought a Woodstock soapstone wood stove from New England. keeps the intire house 80+ degrees all winter. i cut all our wood on my hunting lease. so for $300.00 i have a place to hunt and all the wood i can cut
Good things come to those who wait

C_W

Our old house had a gas furnace, a wood fire place and electric baseboard heaters. It was still cold in that old place until we blew another foot of insulation in the attic.

Our new house is never cold, not even on those -30 degree nights. We have about the most up to date system we could afford. The only thing we don't have is geothermal, because the DNR wouldn't let us sink the coils in the ponds. We have a heat pump sitting on top of a gas furnace with an Off-peak electric duct heater for the main system. Two Off-peak electric boilers that run the in floor heat, one down in my shop, and one for the basement and garage. In floor electric coils in the tile bathroom floors, and a pair of gas fireplaces. It's all run from a motherboard in the basement.  Might be a little overkill but when you have the heat on for 6+ months out of the year its nice to be prepaired.

CW 

flintlock

I rub my wife's leg.   No wait...that hasn't worked either!     :z-guntootsmiley:
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

neal

Turn the thermostat up the bill is what it is.. what you going to do about it don't make much sense to pay a few hundred dollars to try and save a few cents a day.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

OLE RASPY

I have a york heat pump thats 15 years old and it sucks when the temp gets around 20 degrees.I have the old style, condenser and compressor is outside while i have a air handler inside in a closet that has a set of (A)coils and a blower.I also have a ventless gas wall heater that i bought 15000 btu its a floor model has a stand to sit on and i just hook it to a propane bottle but i havent run it this year .It was -2 this morning thought about hooking it up tonight but its suppose to be 60 this weekend.Goodole kentucky weather.

boggszilla

Quote from: OLE RASPY on February 10, 2011, 05:57:38 PM
I have a york heat pump thats 15 years old and it sucks when the temp gets around 20 degrees.I have the old style, condenser and compressor is outside while i have a air handler inside in a closet that has a set of (A)coils and a blower.I also have a ventless gas wall heater that i bought 15000 btu its a floor model has a stand to sit on and i just hook it to a propane bottle but i havent run it this year .It was -2 this morning thought about hooking it up tonight but its suppose to be 60 this weekend.Goodole kentucky weather.

Shoot me a pm when your ready for replacement :icon_thumright:I can get you into a bryant system.

fl panhandler

Dang Hobbes, I had to get me a sweatshirt on after that pic.
Rick

SinGin

Quote from: OLE RASPY on February 10, 2011, 05:57:38 PM
That sounds about what I have. I do have an emergecy heat on the airhandler, so when it gets down to 15 or so I just kick off the heatpump and click on the other. If I ever build a house, I wont put another heatpump in.

unclerick

I use a 3 burner infrared Vanguard heater on bottle gas, I get my propane somewhat reasonable since I work for a gas company, only use it when I am home, I'll come in at night, turned it on till it gets 85 degrees in here then turn it off when I go to bed. My kight bill use to run about $60 a month in the winter but here lately the power co is hitting us hard,, my light bill has gone up to $90 a month, thier beating us to death, I don't know how folks pay them $400 light bills.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

selinoid44

A buddy of mine swears by the cornburner. He has a cornburner for his main furnace. I've been looking into a Harmon stove for anthroodite coal. I can store the coal out side. I can burn it wet. The mice dont get into it like wood. I dont have to work to cut wood. It burns like 98 % and is good hot heat. The stove doesnt get hot on the outside. I can run it into my duct work. A lot of pluses compared to wood, and coal is just a little over 200 bucks a ton. I know some others that have these stoves and they have never used over 3 ton in a winter. That IS their primary heat. Thats the the way I'm heading.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785