turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

space heater/ secondary heat

Started by tra_cline, February 10, 2011, 01:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tra_cline

well this winter is kicking our but on heat bills. BESIDES WOOD, what do you use for a secondary heat source to cut cost? Basically if you have a heat pump do you have a "amish" plug in heater or mainly Gas logs and used electric space heater? Again I can't do wood heat in our house..

cahaba

I been doing heating and airconditioning for 30 some odd years. Any thing electric and you might as well let the secondary heat strips on your heatpump run. Unvented gas logs are efficent when the temp gets to cold to make a heatpump ineffective. Make sure you use unvented so your not paying for heat going up the stack. If you have the money to change your system out go with a piggyback system that is a combination heatpump/gas system with a thermostat that senses the outside temp and runs the gas when the temp drops below 32 deg. or so. at which point the gas is cheaper to run than the heatpump with supplemental heat.

TnHunter

I have gas heat but just bought one of the amish style plug in heaters to try and help on the gas bill, man january was a brute.

:groundhog: Come on spring is just around the corner, I hope. ;D
Life is good today

shootumindaface

Alot of folks up here have the EdenPure heaters.. Its funny cuz the add says "pennies a day" Everyone I know that owns one says yeah a whole crap load of pennies.. All electric heaters are not cheap

RutnNStrutn

I live in Florida. If I want heat, I just open the windows!!! :z-guntootsmiley:

shootumindaface

What the heck is a heat pump? I looked it up and it said it uses a small amount of energy to move warm air from one place to another? Well where in the heck are you getting the warm air, does it generate its own heat?

hobbes

Rutn, I just tried that here in my office.............it didn't work!

stinkpickle

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 10, 2011, 01:40:43 PM
What the heck is a heat pump? I looked it up and it said it uses a small amount of energy to move warm air from one place to another? Well where in the heck are you getting the warm air, does it generate its own heat?

LOL!  Not many heat pumps around these parts.  :)

cahaba

A heat pump is an airconditioner in reverse. Theoretically there is heat in the air down to -360 deg. which is called absolute 0. Refrigerant picks up the heat in the air outside and transfers it to the indoor coil where the blower distributes the warm air.

shootumindaface

Quote from: cahaba on February 10, 2011, 02:08:14 PM
A heat pump is an airconditioner in reverse. Theoretically there is heat in the air down to -360 deg. which is called absolute 0. Refrigerant picks up the heat in the air outside and transfers it to the indoor coil where the blower distributes the warm air.
Thanks and as Stinky said never here much about them up this  way

cahaba

Yea they aren't to popular above the Mason Dixon. They are mostly efficent above 32 deg.

drum817

Just put on an extra set of long underware my friend  :whip2: :fire: :whip2:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: hobbes on February 10, 2011, 01:47:11 PM
Rutn, I just tried that here in my office.............it didn't work!

:lol: ;D :TooFunny:

CB on the run

Quote from: drum817 on February 10, 2011, 02:31:42 PM
Just put on an extra set of long underware my friend  :whip2: :fire: :whip2:

That ain't working.  I even got a hooded sweatshirt on.  Just came from shootin' the bull with my gunsmith because it was just toooooo coooold to run the hounds.  I've been drivin' the little women crazy with a homemade wingbone call.  I'm starting to build some confidence in it and I think it will get some action this May.  I wish I had a fireplace!  12 degrees with a WC of -2 at 2pm.

CB

West Augusta

If you have land you can install a geothermal heat pump.  Basically you bury a heck of a lot of pipe in your yard and pump water and antifreeze through it.  That picks up the heat from the ground. They can be used up north.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.