OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Weatherby sa459 factory choke

Started by sevetts, February 11, 2017, 11:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevetts

It was a beautiful day and I had to shoot my new toy today. I was very pleasantly surprised by the factory choke, I'm not sure il buy anything else. These are really cool guns and all the reviews are right they are pure turkey machines. I thought I would get another 20 but I had absolutely no need for another 20ga and I was surprised when comparing the 12 and the 20 at how little wieght difference there was between the 2 so I went with the 12. It really is awesome. It was 75° today in southern MO and windy. All patterns were in at least 15mph so I'm pretty excited. Fed heavy 7s, federal heavy 6s, win extended range 6s, turkey thug 5s. If it's calm tomorrow I may shoot a few more but il probably wait on my dot to come in. turkey thug 25yrds

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sevetts

Federal heavy 7s 40yards

sevetts

Federal heavy 6s, may not look like much but I was pretty excited, 100 of these should destroy a bird.

sevetts

3" Winchester extended range 6s. Got lucky and found several boxes of these. I stocked up. Really happy with these shot 2 this was the best

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Dr Juice

BottomLand54

I have seen some remarkable patterns with those guns with a sumtoy choke, your pattern looks good but I would definitely try a sumtoy that seems to be the perfect combo with longboards from what I've seen. I have even thought about selling my Benelli and buying one these guns with a sumtoy lol.

jordanz7935

Those are some nice patterns with the HW7s and the ext range #6s! I'd hunt those ext range#6s all day. I'm sure you could up your numbers with a better choke but the decision is up to you as to whether 20-30 more pellets in a 10" circle is worth the spent $$$. And yes those HW #6s will absolutely crush a gobbler, or a goose,or even a coyote if needed!

sevetts

Yea I know I could do better with several options but I was mainly posting the patterns for a general refernce. You don't see many factory choke pattern pics unless they have tss coming out of them but this is a pretty good one. Good enough I really don't "need" a choke for it which really surprised me. I am really curious about the trulock fed 7 choke for this gun. If I could get 180+ with the federal 7s at 1300fps that would be MEAN, i know what the 20's do. Heard some really good things about that trulock choke and longbeards too.

sevetts

Quote from: jordanz7935 on February 13, 2017, 05:59:46 PM
Those are some nice patterns with the HW7s and the ext range #6s! I'd hunt those ext range#6s all day. I'm sure you could up your numbers with a better choke but the decision is up to you as to whether 20-30 more pellets in a 10" circle is worth the spent $$$. And yes those HW #6s will absolutely crush a gobbler, or a goose,or even a coyote if needed!

I cut a couple 2×4s and hammered them in the ground and screwed an old piece of plywood to them, then used wrapping paper for every shot. Worked fine till I shot the heavywieght 6s, it blew my plywood off and one of my 2xs over.... I would not want those coming at me I know that. I've had a box of 10 of the 12ga heavywieght 6'sfor a long time but never shot one.

Gutsdozer

I hear a lot about the chokes people are using for the 20 gauge. What are the top recommendations for the 12 gauge? I plan on shooting Hevi-13 3" #7. I keep telling myself I am going to use the box of Longbeard #5 shells I have but when I go to the store when it is close to the season I go into a daze and walk out with more of the to damn expensive Hevi-13. Is there a good overall choke I could use for both loads?

Philippe

Quote from: Gutsdozer on February 20, 2017, 06:35:30 AM
I hear a lot about the chokes people are using for the 20 gauge. What are the top recommendations for the 12 gauge? I plan on shooting Hevi-13 3" #7. I keep telling myself I am going to use the box of Longbeard #5 shells I have but when I go to the store when it is close to the season I go into a daze and walk out with more of the to damn expensive Hevi-13. Is there a good overall choke I could use for both loads?

Let William at Sumtoy know you have a Weatherby Sa-459 and what shells you will be shooting. My SA-459 with a Sumtoy and LB 5's and 6's was nasty.

Gutsdozer

Quote from: Philippe on February 23, 2017, 11:30:47 PM
Quote from: Gutsdozer on February 20, 2017, 06:35:30 AM

Let William at Sumtoy know you have a Weatherby Sa-459 and what shells you will be shooting. My SA-459 with a Sumtoy and LB 5's and 6's was nasty.

Do you have any pics of your patterns?

BottomLand54

I just got my sa-459 12 guage last night, along with my sumtoy choke, I installed my ff3 on it and am hoping to shoot tmmrw evening if weather is good and I am able. I have not shot gun at all yet. I will try to post pics of my patterns going to dial in ff3 with my dove loads and shoot a couple turkey loads all 3" long beard 6 shot, hevi 13 6s, hevi magna blend 2oz, maybe a federal supreme 5.

BottomLand54

Here is a pic of my new gun! I sure hope it shoots good.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk