OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

easiest and hardest calls to learn.

Started by Danger DAve, April 07, 2011, 08:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danger DAve

How would y'all rate the different call types from easiest to hardest to learn for a beginner?  It's strange my yelps are very hit and miss on a slate/glass but I love my purrs(but only on slate, not glass).  I love a box call for yelping, and think the clucks are the most realistic.   Mouth calls intimidate me not because of how they are used/difficulty it's just that there are about a million different types of them.

I'm interested in your thoughts and any advise is appreciated greatly.

MarkJM

For me, it took awhile to find a call that sounded good. I kept messing around with different measurements. I now have found a measurement that gives me a good constant sound everytime I make a call. I only sell friction calls but I make all types of calls. For me, it was easiest to pick up friction calls. My frictions measure 3 1/4 diameter, by 7/8 thick. I know everytime I glue up a call it will sound good using these measurements. I had lots of help along the way. Keep making calls and learn from your mistakes.
MuellerCustomCalls

Danger DAve

Sorry.  I mean easiest to learn to use well.  I'm miles away from attempting to make one.

selinoid44

My opinion is that pots and strikers are the easiest calls to run and control. I can make them do what I want. Mouth calls are more difficult to learn but with practice it will become second nature. Again practice, practice, practice. Box calls are not that hard to run but certainly not my go to call. Just my 2 cents.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

Danger DAve

It's odd that I am more consistent on my less-espensive pot calls than my top-of-the line custom.  Maybe I'm not good enough yet to milk out all it has to offer.  It seems to have less margin for error.  I won't mention the call because I don't want anyone to think it's the fault of the call.

kenturkey89

In order of ease for a beginner:

push-pin, box call, slate call, and finally a diaphragm call.  There are also other calls like scratch-boxes, tube calls, trumpets, and a few others out there that I don't have a whole lot of experience with so I will leave them out for right now.  

As for your question about slate and glass, it could be the striker you're using that could be responsible for not giving you the type of yelps you want.  I have a striker that I turned the other day that made really nice clucks and purrs but did not make a good yelper at all.  But when I played my slate with my purpleheart or rosewood strikers (for example) they produced much better yelps.  As far as your glass is concerned, I would make sure it's sanded or conditioned really well because the better job you do with conditioning glass, the better sound it produces.  Sometimes you have to wipe off your striker tip because it starts to collect glass dust after you play the call for a little bit.  The one thing I know for sure is, the more you practice the better you get!  Good luck and keep practicing!

-Brian
Brian

Danger DAve

Thank you sir.  I've played guitar for the past twenty five years so I know the value of practice.

hookedspur

Quote from: kenturkey89 on April 07, 2011, 09:01:32 PM
In order of ease for a beginner:

push-pin, box call, slate call, and finally a diaphragm call.  There are also other calls like scratch-boxes, tube calls, trumpets, and a few others out there that I don't have a whole lot of experience with so I will leave them out for right now.  

As for your question about slate and glass, it could be the striker you're using that could be responsible for not giving you the type of yelps you want.  I have a striker that I turned the other day that made really nice clucks and purrs but did not make a good yelper at all.  But when I played my slate with my purpleheart or rosewood strikers (for example) they produced much better yelps.  As far as your glass is concerned, I would make sure it's sanded or conditioned really well because the better job you do with conditioning glass, the better sound it produces.  Sometimes you have to wipe off your striker tip because it starts to collect glass dust after you play the call for a little bit.  The one thing I know for sure is, the more you practice the better you get!  Good luck and keep practicing!

-Brian
:agreed: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions