turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fat cheek versus sore shoulder

Started by tha bugman, February 06, 2017, 10:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

Sat afternoon was amazing in the Sip so I decided to send a few turkey loads downrange.  I put the Lead Sled on the table and settled in...Boom!  I feel the gun stock hit my cheek pretty hard....each shot after that the same thing happened.  By the time I got in the house my cheek was swollen like I had gotten sucker punched. I don't know what I am doing wrong.  Its not the first time I have shot for sure but wonder if anyone had any ideas as to how I could make it better on my face!   :help: :z-dizzy: ???

Tom Foolery

Best cure I've found is going to a 20 gauge.   :P :P :P :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

tha bugman

nickp

I used a piece of foam.  Place it on the comb where my cheek rests, wrapped it in place with camo tape, and no more mike tyson punches. 

Happy

Made my own foam cheekpeice. It ain't Purdy but it works!

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

fountain2

Lead sled may be one trouble.  Being hunched over it aiming lead to the same thing for me.  I found that just shooting it and taking the punishment was best.  Shooting nitros in a short bbl 835 pure out hurt and I bled multiple times. When I had braces, it was brutal and would leave my gums in my braxest! Set it up and don't tinker!  That was my fix for a bit.  The next fix was going to go 20 and tss

yella yelper

I wish somebody had a camera on me last year.  I was set up in the back yard with the lead sled shooting some 3.5" mag blends. I squeezed the trigger ever so slightly and when that round went off, I was dazed. It blew the lead sled up and back and that knocked my ear protection off and they went rolling across the yard. It's like in the war movies when the grenade goes off and the victim is looking around slowly with nothing but ringing heard...

I've found that sitting in a straight chair with a 2x6 for a rest works pretty good with a small pillow on my shoulder. I've switched to 20 ga TSS now, no more concussions and better loads

Greg Massey

agree, that's why i shoot a 20 ga also.. those 3.5 are hard on a old man...

goatman

Quote from: tha bugman on February 06, 2017, 10:31:24 AM
Sat afternoon was amazing in the Sip so I decided to send a few turkey loads downrange.  I put the Lead Sled on the table and settled in...Boom!  I feel the gun stock hit my cheek pretty hard....each shot after that the same thing happened.  By the time I got in the house my cheek was swollen like I had gotten sucker punched. I don't know what I am doing wrong.  Its not the first time I have shot for sure but wonder if anyone had any ideas as to how I could make it better on my face!   :help: :z-dizzy: ???

Did you put a bag or two of lead shot on the sled?

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 06, 2017, 11:09:18 AM
Best cure I've found is going to a 20 gauge.   :P :P :P :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

^ Good answer. That's where I'm at now. Here's my ol' 835

I used foam pipe insulation camo tape velcrowed to the stock. Definitely no beauty contest winner, But it works. Oh, and a sims recoil pad.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

tha bugman

Quote from: goatman on February 07, 2017, 01:52:32 PM
Quote from: tha bugman on February 06, 2017, 10:31:24 AM

Did you put a bag or two of lead shot on the sled? yes I have 50 pounds of weight in the middle.

BottomLand54

I was out Saturday wasting money shooting turkey loads out of my sbe3 only 3" shells. I was sitting in a metal chair with gun rested on a shooting stick holding gun firm against shoulder with solid steady grip...... Squeeze the trigger...... Boom..... Ouch...... Then for some.reason I kept doing it! Today is Monday shoulder is still bruised cheek has went down but middle finger on right hand that goes behind trigger guard is still bruised. Wish I woulda not wanted all that money getting no where. Now back to different choke combo this.time going to start with 2 3/4 8shot trap loads then move to the couple turkey loads. Why do we do this? How come it never hurts when old thunder chicken long beard is in front of me?

tha bugman

I decided to switch things up yesterday....did not break out the lead sled and went to my portable shooting rest....I shot around 20 times and didn't bump my cheek the first time. 

rpinks

Great info on cheek pads. I also use led sled with 40lbs in it when testing zero and loads. I also put the pipe insulation on both my turkey guns with mole skin covering it. Saves the cheek and helps with the eye being level with red dot . Good luck this season !
Thanks, RP