OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Calls for Complete Beginner

Started by apexpredator, February 03, 2017, 12:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Box call all the way for me.

•It is a loud call (when played loud) but can be played softly when needed.  It is the call I often use when trying to drum up a gobble from a long distance, or a call I use in windy conditions, cause it is loud.
•It is by far the easiest call to make basic turkey sounds on (i.e. yelps, clucks, and cutting).
•The wood chamber of the box call has a very realistic resonance.  I can pick out turkey hunters using mouth calls or pot calls far more easy than someone proficient on a box call.
•It is an easy call to pull out quickly and start making turkey sounds on.  Not as quick as a mouth call, but certainly more convenient than a pot call.

Yes, the pot call is probably more versatile on the low end (purrs and subtle clucks), but the box call is one piece, easier to learn, and one of the most realistic basic calls, that will give you a base from which to learn all other calls.

Honestly, I think you would have a difficult time beating the price and quality of Spring Creek calls for your first call.  His calls are less expensive  than quality manufactured calls, and you can call him up and talk to him as to making a call that fits your needs.   With the combination of price and quality, it would be tough to recommend a better introductory call.

There are a lot of good custom call-makers, and I have an SS call that will always go in my vest, but to some degree, I think you need to know what you want/need before spending more money.

If you really feel you are going to hunt a lot, I might consider adding a Primos Wet box to the arsenal...  Rain and/or wet weather is not ideal for playing a box call.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

apexpredator

Thanks for the help guys. I am getting a box call from Spring Creek and some a couple pot calls from gooserbat. After I start getting the hang of things I will be sure to pick up a yingling pot as well as a Sneed and an SS box call. I can't wait to start practicing. I know that I am going to drive everyone at home crazy this next month.

outdoors

U MADE SOME GOOD CHOICES ....... BEST OF LUCK.........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

1iagobblergetter

Goodluck to you!!Youll do Great and Welcome again to the addiction!!!

HFultzjr

Good choices!
Now listen to some live turkey videos.
:z-winnersmiley:

Marc

Quote from: outdoors on February 04, 2017, 07:59:56 PM
You did make some good choices.  Turkey hunting is a disease, and the calls are addictive...  Toys for grown men.

Find someone locally that can show you the ropes (as far as calling)...  You might even figure out some preferences.

One thing about the tongue ticklers (mouth calls), is that they are inexpensive.  If you are already purchasing a call from Gooserbat, I might have him throw in what he considers to be a beginning mouth call.  I have purchased (and will purchase) calls from him, and have taken his advice on the calls, and have not been disappointed yet.

A mouth call requires some practice and some learning at home, but is a great call to have in the arsenal. No movement, very versatile, but probably out of all the calls, takes the most skill and practice to sound good on.  I have called some birds in with poor calling, but have recently become more self-aware of my lack of calling abilities on these calls. 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

slwayne

Quote from: Marc on February 05, 2017, 12:03:25 AM
Quote from: outdoors on February 04, 2017, 07:59:56 PM
You did make some good choices.  Turkey hunting is a disease, and the calls are addictive...  Toys for grown men.

Find someone locally that can show you the ropes (as far as calling)...  You might even figure out some preferences.

One thing about the tongue ticklers (mouth calls), is that they are inexpensive.  If you are already purchasing a call from Gooserbat, I might have him throw in what he considers to be a beginning mouth call.  I have purchased (and will purchase) calls from him, and have taken his advice on the calls, and have not been disappointed yet.

A mouth call requires some practice and some learning at home, but is a great call to have in the arsenal. No movement, very versatile, but probably out of all the calls, takes the most skill and practice to sound good on.  I have called some birds in with poor calling, but have recently become more self-aware of my lack of calling abilities on these calls.
Good advice here.  Re finding someone to show you the ropes, if there is a NWTF chapter near you you might consider joining.  In addition to getting hooked up with local turkey fanatics you will also have the opportunity to get involved in lots of cool habitat work and other community projects.  I also agree with talking to Gooserbat about getting some of his mouth calls.  I like his calls alot, they just seem to fit my mouth better than any others that I have tried.

lmbhngr

Noone mentioned a push pin. Not very loud BUT one of the easiest calls to use and still sound realistic. I've called in a ton of birds with a simple push pin call. Contact Mike Lapp. He makes a hell of a push pin call. JMO

WNCTracker

I'd start with a slate then work on the diaphragms later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HFultzjr

Any beginner looking for an easy to play box call, go to the classifieds and check out the special by Gooserbat. I got 2 of his box calls and they are great. Any beginner can be talking turkey in no time at all with one of these. For $28.00 to your door........you won't beat it. If there is any left that is......LOL
:gobble:

perrytrails

Push pin call. Many birds have met their maker from Quaker boys EZ yelper.

I bought my grandson the new trigger finger model. Really sounds good.

ncturkey

Quote from: Happy hooker on February 03, 2017, 09:58:28 AM
Wouldn't a one sided box call be perfect for a beginner it would make him do and hear the perfect yelp,,I would say get one from SS custom calls he might even have one ready.
. SS Custom calls has field grade box that is two sided and it is awesome to. Plus they make a awesome pot call too.

ncturkey

Plus most of the custom turkey guys and gals are at the NWTF Convention this week. You may have to wait until next week to get up with some of them. If you need any help PM and I will try and help you get started.

LaLongbeard

Just starting out I'd recommend leaving the mouth calls for later and getting a good box call.Depending on how much you want to spend theres plenty to choose from.I started with a Quaker boy box call that still brings them in.Buy the Lovett Williams real turkey CDs and listen to the real thing and practice.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?