OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Calls for Complete Beginner

Started by apexpredator, February 03, 2017, 12:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apexpredator

Hello everyone. As the title states, I am a complete beginner. I have never done any turkey calling at all. I would love to shoot my first turkey this coming spring season and would love to be able to call my own gobbler in. I have started doing my research and would love to pick up a few calls to start practicing with throughout the day. In researching I figured I could use a mouth call, pot call and a box call but like I said I don't know the first thing about turkey calling so I am probably way off base. What would you guys recommend? If you guys could suggest some different types of calls, makes, models etc it would be of great help to me so I can further research and start trying my hand at it. There are so many different calls and manufacturers that it becomes overwhelming for someone like myself who has zero experience and knows no one who turkey hunts which could mentor them. Thanks in advance.

MK M GOBL

Just to ask where are you from? Don't know that you would even be close to my area but I'm always willing to teach :)

I always suggest a slate call as the first call to start on, easy to run, easy to learn and can run about every call a turkey makes on them, yup have even done gobbles. Lots of stuff on YouTube, try listening to "live" hen to pick up that turkey rhythm and learn what calls mean in turkey language.

I have a favorite of mine is a Cody World Class Slate Call, a little more money than some but I get results.

MK M GOBL

1iagobblergetter

I would start with the 3 calls you mentioned. In the pot calls just starting out I'd start with a slate surface,mouth call i found the Double Reed was easy, Boxcall you'll get varying opinions in which wood types ,but if you buy a custom you could leave it up to the callmaker. Maybe get one down good and then move on to the next.As far as who to buy from it depends on how much you want to spend...not sure when your season starts,but if you start practicing now before season you'll do fine. I'd probably get a couple how to dvds on the basics of the calls. Maybe also listen to some of the soundfiles posted by callmakers on here. It'll help you with cadence.

BowBendr

Don't bite off more than you can chew so fast, turkey season is only 2 months away. Find a good box call that has a good high/low rollover and learn how to use it. They're one piece, nothing to lose, stays in tune and they sound like a turkey. Access some videos on you tube and learn the cadence a turkey calls with. As long as you can hold the call and stroke the paddle with the proper rhythm you are golden. If you will really study how a turkey calls you can't mess it up with a good box. The birds will tell you if you are doing it right.

Happy

What this guy's says. You will be more effective playing one call well.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

apexpredator

I am in Miami, Florida but hunt out of a deer and hog lease in Perry, FL. Our turkey season here starts March 18. I don't intend to become proficient in all the I calls that I get by the beginning of turkey season but I would like to have material to practice with during my free time before and after. I think that what I would do is as you guys suggested and practice with one until I can do it properly and then move on to the next one while still practicing the others. I also would rather start learning with quality calls than the junk that is sold in most big box stores. Thank you

Happy hooker

Wouldn't a one sided box call be perfect for a beginner it would make him do and hear the perfect yelp,,I would say get one from SS custom calls he might even have one ready.

davisd9

A good slate will allow you to make all the calls needed and is easy to master. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

slwayne

For me personally, when I was starting out I got proficient (and confident) on a box call sooner than on a pot call.  I would recommend that you contact the boys at SS Custom Calls and talk them about getting one of their field grade box calls.  IMO, you won't find a better call for $60.  For a slate call, Lonnie Sneed makes a great one at a very reasonable price.  Agree with a previous recommendation that a 2 reed mouth call is probably the easiest for a beginner.  I would take a look at Hooks.  Mouth calls are a little trickier because they are all made a little different and a big part of the battle is figuring out whose design fits your mouth the best.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: slwayne on February 03, 2017, 10:26:59 AM
For me personally, when I was starting out I got proficient (and confident) on a box call sooner than on a pot call.  I would recommend that you contact the boys at SS Custom Calls and talk them about getting one of their field grade box calls.  IMO, you won't find a better call for $60.  For a slate call, Lonnie Sneed makes a great one at a very reasonable price.  Agree with a previous recommendation that a 2 reed mouth call is probably the easiest for a beginner.  I would take a look at Hooks.  Mouth calls are a little trickier because they are all made a little different and a big part of the battle is figuring out whose design fits your mouth the best.
X2 Lonnie Sneed is exactly who I was going to recommend. Excellent ,proven, very reasonably priced calls and get to talk to a Great guy!!! I started on a Primos Limb hanger #102 Double reed(mouthcall)...I don't have any SS boxcalls,but can say I've read good things about them...you have many choices,but little time to wait on a list for a call imo.(nothing wrong with waiting lists when you have a call or 2 already for hunting)with spring around the corner. Hopefully the ones mentioned can get you a call soon i havent talked to Lonnie in awhile..Turkey hunting is a learning curve,even humbling at times,that's why at around 20 years at it i still love it more each time I go and think about it all the time. You've come to the right site with many helpful members. I learn something new often on here . Goodluck...

Bowguy

I differ from most folks here. Yes a box you can learn to Yelp w very quickly. Maybe cluck too. Trying to vary volume n make sounds clear can take practice, purrs to sound at all natural even more practice. Cutting, fly downs are fairly easy.
I'd recommend pots. More sounds, n volume control is much more easily accomplished imo. I'd prob recommend either slate or rough aluminum.
Slate is out if it's damp or humid in your area. That leaves either stoned aluminum by Dawkins or Lonzo or something by Schafer or Platz if you could find a Platz quick.
Blackstone or Mac slick aluminum if hit w real fine sandpaper (220) or scotch brite all run long n easy.

apexpredator

Our humidity is about 60-80% most of the year. It also can be quite swampy.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: apexpredator on February 03, 2017, 01:47:57 PM
Our humidity is about 60-80% most of the year. It also can be quite swampy.
I use a carbon shaft striker if it's wet out on my slate/or aluminum shafts on my glass call. They don't sound as good as if it's dry out,but good enough and has worked for me. I think if it's damp enough your having problems with a slate your not going to be far behind with others unless you change strikers. Hence it never hurts to eventually learn some different calls....so you have options..

wvmntnhick

Everyone is bringing up some solid points. Boxes are generally easy to learn to call on but they do require practice. A lot of people believe they're the beginners call but I've heard just as much bad calling on a box as anything else. I'd never used a box to purr until a year or so ago. Always relied on a pot or diaphragm for that. Everything else had come fairly easy for the most part. Certain pots will certainly be easier to run than others as far as surfaces are concerned. A slate is generally the easiest but your humidity might be an issue. My personal preference is either slate or glass. Easy enough and not near the issues with humidity. If you're looking for a good box, I'd check into Spring Creek and SS as mentioned above. For pot calls I tend to look at whatever Mike Yingling has for sale. Another idea would be to take up Gooserbats offer on the stuff he's got right now. He's selling pots and boxes for $28 each and each call after the first is $3 off. Essentially, second call is $25. Could also get a diaphragm from him too and make it a one stop shop.

HFultzjr

Everything mentioned on here is good advice.
Watch every "real turkey" video on youtube that you can.

Here is a good one to start"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yey06HF_8rk

Nothing beats a custom call, but if you are short on cash, shoot me a PM
I have some Primos Box Cutter 2 sided Box Calls, I picked up for beginners.
These are a very good production call.
I picked them up at a great price and got to test each one before I bought the best of the bunch.
I'll give you one at my cost + shipping

P.S. - Not soliciting these for sale, except I would like to see one go to a beginner only.
Trying to help him out, not trying to sell a call.
Otherwise, they would be in the classifieds.