OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke for 835 longbeard #5s

Started by bowbird87, February 05, 2017, 03:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowbird87

Thinking maybe a kicks .680, Indian creek .675 or pure gold .670? Wanting to shoot 3.5 longbeard #5. Any input would be appreciated.

birdhunterdave

I don't shoot longbeards but you can't go wrong with an Indian creek .675

wvmntnhick

Ask William at sumtoy. He made one for me that was absolutely devastating.

jordanz7935

I shoot a 935 and have patterned the Longbeard #5s through a Kicks 680 and a Stardot .676. The kicks 680 shot mid 170's with the 3.5" Longbeard #5s. The Stardot preffered longbeard #4s. I got rid of my Indian Creek before the longbeards came out, but i bet it would have probably done even better than the kicks 680 numbers wise with LB #5s. All the chokes you mentioned are proven performers in the 835/935, i dont think you could go wrong with any of them. The Carlsons Longbeard Choke .683, is a really good choke from what ive seen and last time i checked ebay, they can be had for 1/2 the price of the chokes on your list.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: bowbird87 on February 05, 2017, 03:38:46 PM
Thinking maybe a kicks .680, Indian creek .675 or pure gold .670? Wanting to shoot 3.5 longbeard #5. Any input would be appreciated.

The 2 chokes that did best in my evaluations with those guns were the Hevi-13 http://allaboutshooting.com/products/hevi-13-turkey-choke-mossberg-835-935-12-gauge-335 and the SSX http://allaboutshooting.com/products/12-gauge-ssx-mossberg-835-935-75

Both produced high quality patterns without gaps of 2" or more.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

KYStalker

I patterned my 935 with an Indian Creek 675 and longbeard 3.5 inch #5 at 40 yards.  174 in the 10 inch circle.  However, as many have said, it makes for a dangerously tight pattern at 20 yards.  Also,  I patterned longbeards in a pretty stiff wind, and that tight pattern shifts quite a bit at 40 yards with not much wiggle room.
If you're not first, your last!!

SumToy

675 should work fine.  you have a few good chokes to pick from.  I like one better  :you_rock:

:anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

BowBendr

The Kicks .680, IC .675 and Stardot .676 all shot in the mid 170's with the 3.5" number 5's in my gun.
The patterns from all 3 chokes were very splotchy, good numbers but several 1-2" gaps in the patterns.
The Stardot clearly preferred the 3.5" number 4's....outstandingly even with good numbers (mid 140's), yet it wasn't too terribly tight at 25 yds. for some strange reason. The 5 and 6 shot were just way too tight under 30.