News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Define

Started by shootumindaface, February 10, 2011, 12:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hognutz

I prefer to hunt the dumb ones.  :fud: :newmascot:  Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

redarrow

If he answers ,wait a few,call again. If he's closer,he on his way. No need to call again. If you keep calling cause you like to hear him gobble,that's over calling. Kinda like when I was younger. If a gal says sure I'd like to see your Beatles collection,ain't no need to buy her anymore drinks. The deal is sealed son. :z-flirtysmile3:

turkey_slayer

Over calling is when you call so much you cant even hear the turkeys gobbling over your own calling  :TooFunny: Im a passive caller but I've heard hens that I thought would never shut up and in those cases I dont either  :icon_thumright:

shootumindaface

How do you know your overcalling until the encounter is over? 

And once the encounter is over how do you know that excessive calling resulted in lack of a kill?

stinkpickle

It's like having too much to drink.  You don't know you did it...until you done it.  ;)

turkey_slayer

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 10, 2011, 03:04:52 PM
It's like having too much to drink.  You don't know you did it...until you done it.  ;)

turkey_slayer

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 10, 2011, 02:38:10 PM

And once the encounter is over how do you know that excessive calling resulted in lack of a kill?

I believe theres to many variables to give an honest answer and so many questions that cant be answered.  The mystery is part of the reason turkey hunting is so obsessive.  Its a game between you and him and you can never take back what you've already done nor can you be 100% sure what would have happened if you done it differently.   

1. How do you know you would have killed him if you didnt call much?
2. Was it possible you made him gobble so much that a hen finally went to him?
3.  Did he already have hens that you ticked off and led him away?

Crutch

My last bird was a set up 50 yds away. We made a series of calls then quiet.  Waited a few then called agian. Nothing. After 20 minutes total, I crawled out and could see a hen leading him down the field.  We trucked thru the woods and peaked out, he was still moving. Repeated that about 3 more times and he was gone. I told my buddy he was in the woods, call once. He did and the tom finally gobbled. We move forward and set up. Got ready and my buddy called again. He double gobbled.  We waited, and listened to the crickets. Called again then the hen started up. I pulled out my slate and waited for Bruce to hit it again, as soon as he did, I jumped in with him. Waited a minute and the hen started trowing another fit and I jumped on her doing the same thing but louder. Then I stopped and waited. He finally poked his head out and I shot him in the face.  We called a lot at first with no results and called again alot later and made him leave the hen.  You judge if it was over calling. I can tell you this, over calling and taking one that talks back to you is a lot more fun than shooting one that is sneaking in.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

Cove

Great thread! But there is no such thing as over calling. As long as you sound like a turkey
-

guesswho

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 10, 2011, 02:38:10 PM

Experienced guess.  Thats the best you can do on both questions. 

Over calling is a term used a lot by people who aren't real good with a call, and they don't understand the meaning of the calls their making.  Over calling is based somewhat on the callers ability.  A good caller can get away with a lot more calling than a bad caller.  But even a good caller can call to much in some situations.   I'm not a great caller and I don't kid myself about it, so my calling is held to just enough to get the bird in range, anything else in my opinion would be over calling.

My rule of thumb is if I think myself or my hunting partner is calling to much, then we are.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

BOFF

Quote from: Covehnter on February 10, 2011, 05:18:42 PM
Great thread! But there is no such thing as over calling. As long as you sound like a turkey
-

I might have to disagree with you on that statement. Sounding like a turkey, and acting like a turkey are 2 different things in my opinion. Besides, how do you define sounding like a turkey?

I've been hunting public places and if I was a betting man, I would have lost everything I owned thinking a hunter was making some TERRIBLE turkey talk, only to find out it was a real hen.  :begging:

Regardless, one needs to do what a turkey would do as well. I don't believe a turkey is gonna come to me if I run full speed ahead through the woods, sounding exactly like a turkey would sound.

Just stirring the pot a little.

God Bless,
David B.

hobbes

Ever listened to a group of riled up hens?  They don't hold anything back.  In fact, just click on TRKYHTR's link in his turkey scouting thread.

I do think you have to use a little common sense though. 

Spurs

Come hunt with me....you will see overcalling at it's finest.  :begging:
This year is going to suck!!!

Shotgun

According to some here I over call, however my definiton to over calling would be calling without reason.  Meaning everytime I call to a turkey I have specific reason to why I made that call.  I do call quite often, but with reason.  My second part of my answer is calling to a turkey that is already committed.  Once he is on his way calling is not neccessary unless he has gotten off path.

Cove

I've got video of a hen cutting and yelping for 10 minutes or more straight, yelp sequences 40 something notes long. So, in my opinion if she can call that much and her obviously being the greatest teacher, then it'd be impossible for me to call too much. I'd pass out first. So in my opinion, if I was able encounter it then a gobbler living with her everyday has heard it a time or 2 at least.  :you_rock:

Quote from: BOFF on February 10, 2011, 05:52:57 PM
Quote from: Covehnter on February 10, 2011, 05:18:42 PM
-

I might have to disagree with you on that statement. Sounding like a turkey, and acting like a turkey are 2 different things in my opinion. Besides, how do you define sounding like a turkey?

I've been hunting public places and if I was a betting man, I would have lost everything I owned thinking a hunter was making some TERRIBLE turkey talk, only to find out it was a real hen.  :begging:

Regardless, one needs to do what a turkey would do as well. I don't believe a turkey is gonna come to me if I run full speed ahead through the woods, sounding exactly like a turkey would sound.

Just stirring the pot a little.

God Bless,
David B.