News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Define

Started by shootumindaface, February 10, 2011, 12:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootumindaface

Basser69

Blind calling more than once every 10 to 15 minutes, would be over calling in my book

Timber Chicken

over calling is an action taken by a hunter who doesn't kill alot of turkeys and cannot figure out why they gobble so much but won't come in. I would also say it depends on the individual bird. I like to say fired up isn't fried up even though they have the same letters.

gob09

when your younger brother says will you shut up so i can listen

dodger

I think if you get a hot bird... You cant over call... He's dead from his first gobble... Now birds that have been hunted hard all season long, just a purr and some scratching in the leaves will kill him... Everything else will send him on his way... What I love to hear is people in national forest mangle calling... Makes for smarter bird and more empty hands going home... then I come in and lay the smackdown

ghillie

When YOUR mind gets the better of you...I would call that "over calling"  When your frustrated at that bird and you let emotion or YOUR mind takes over....

I was always told a great acronym-KISS.....  Keep It Simple Stupid

sugarray

As a new hunter, year 3, I think over calling is calling, yelping and cutting to a bird that cuts you off every time.  Then you notice he is not getting closer or hasn't flown down yet.  Point in case, as I look back at my very first morning turkey hunting, I called a lot.  On the way in I thought I heard a gobble, right a day light, my son yelped on his push call and 2 birds fired off close.  We got set up and started calling, and man did those birds gobble.  Then a 3rd one started up behind us.  We just called, yelps, for the next 1.5 hours.  Those 2 birds in front of us never budged.  There would be some quiet times, but they never went away, and never got closer.  Finally he went to sleep and I stopped calling and the 1 behind us came in silent.  He died at 25 yds.  So, I think I over called and those birds never left the roost, or were down and were just sitting strutting and gobbling.  So, that to me is over calling.

hobbes

Interesting ideas.

Good thing I've spent most of my time the last few years hunting dumb Merriams.  ;D

cahaba

Over calling to me is throwing it all to a bird before you take his temperature. Sometimes the birds I hunt want it all but not often. If soft infrequent calling don't get him to move I ramp it up.

Crutch

somebody needs to explain to about 70 hens I know what over calling is.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

CASH

Over calling to me is that butthole in my club that signs out the section next to mine.  He rides his four wheeler up and down the road stopping every 100 yards or so and blasts on his crow call, while I'm working a bird.

Oh wait, wrong thread.  Sorry
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

dodger

Quote from: hobbes on February 10, 2011, 01:17:49 PM
Interesting ideas.

Good thing I've spent most of my time the last few years hunting dumb Merriams.  ;D
yeah them turkeys aint the sharpest knives in the kitchen

stinkpickle

The maximum number of calls a particular gobbler will let you get away with... + 1.

hobbes

Quote from: dodger on February 10, 2011, 01:57:42 PM
Quote from: hobbes on February 10, 2011, 01:17:49 PM
Interesting ideas.

yeah them turkeys aint the sharpest knives in the kitchen

I've heard that.........but I always liked dumb turkeys.

pullit

when you run out of cell min's..... :TooFunny: :TooFunny: