turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Natural voice calling?

Started by C.Kimzey95, January 23, 2017, 11:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.Kimzey95

Does anyone do this on a normal basis, and with any success? Always wanted to try, always been too scared to.

1iagobblergetter

I think I've  seen where quavers59 has said on here that he has. My son who is now 12 yelps with his voice at the different fairs without the turkeys seeing him and gets the Toms gobbling. It's pretty neat, he draws a pretty good crowd sometimes. He's done that since he's been about 7. Never turned him loose with it while we've hunted though. Maybe I'll let him try if nothing else is working and it's do or die. Lol...

C.Kimzey95

I kinda wanna try it. Can't sound much worse then my diaphragm calling lol

beakbuster10

I've called in a few gobblers with my mouth outside of turkey season. I don't get that worked up when I know he's not getting ready to take a ride in the truck, so my voice isn't choked up and squeaking. In the spring, I can hardly talk for a few seconds, let alone yelp right after killing a gobbler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

appalachianassassin

yep, ive used my natural voice for years. I also use calls but do not rely on them. im not the best but ive heard lots of real turkeys that sounded alot worse.

davisd9

A young boy and his dad went to Kansas with us last spring and the young man could natural voice call very well. He could Yelp, purr, cluck, cutt and did a pretty good gobble.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

guesswho

I do on a regular basis.  Not much difference between my natural mouth calling and me using a mouth call, they both kind of suck.  I can get more volume with a call though.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Double B

I don't usually like to use diaphragm calls, so I learned to finish with low subtle mouth yelps, whines and clucks if needed.   Gotta do what ya gotta do if you can't move.   Learn to owl too.   Hang around real birds and "talk to them" if you can.....I walk by a chicken coop about every day and we always talk.....helps keep me birdy. 
Followed by buzzards

SinGin

I did it once in Kansas to get a gobbler to stick its head up, worked pretty good.

TauntoHawk

the penned bird at the petting zoo thinks i am a 110% sweet talking hen..  :newmascot:
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tha bugman

i practice just about everytime I get in the shower...drives The Boss Hen insane...and not in a good way...she stormed in one day and said..."Its not even turkey season!"  I told her that turkey season never ends...go back to bed.  The acoustics are just really good in there!

catman529

Couple years ago while bow hunting right after fall turkey shotgun season closed, I had a tom worked up and almost to 20 yards but with too much thick stuff to shoot my bow through. I didn't have a turkey call so was using my voice. He was gobbling and blowing up into half strut like they do in the spring. But it was late October

JLCustomTurkeyCalls

Check this young man out!  Wish I had his skills...   funny too.  -Eric

https://www.facebook.com/JLCustomTurkeyCalls/posts/1304057972978739

www.jlcustomturkeycalls.com

JLCustomTurkeyCalls.com
Made in USA  Veteran Owned

C.Kimzey95

Ha that kid has got some skills for sure!

Poleaxe

I had success with it last year.  Had a  bird hung up and I couldn't use a mouth call and made some soft yelps and scratched the leaves and he couldn't resist.  He was the dominant bird in that area to so I musta done something right.