OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mouth Call Prices

Started by davisd9, January 10, 2017, 08:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Does anyone else feel like mouth call prices are getting high? Most are asking at least 8 dollars a piece for them and I have seen some as high as 10-15 bucks. Maybe I am missing something but isn't there less than a dollar worth of material and experienced call makers can make one in less than 5 minutes, maybe faster. Maybe I am just being cheap, ignorant of the cost and time, or both but I wanted to see what others thoughts on the current price of mouth calls? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

TauntoHawk

its a pretty valid point you have.. Outside of Hooks its tough to find quality ones still priced around $5 and I don't think I would pay 10-15 there's just too much risk that the call won't suit me and I'll never use it at least other calls and strikers can be resold. Although when you find a good one it seems like a steal when that $8 call is perfection and lasts dozens if not 100's of hunts before falling apart.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

davisd9

They are a call with a lot of demand so I am sure that raises the call price.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Happy

I have paid up to $20 for a certain diaphram call. One of the best all around calls I have ever used. It fits me perfectly and I can run it extremely well. I look at it this way. It makes me more effective. Guys have no problem plunking down thousands on a custom tuned auto that won't kill them any deader than a remington 870 or mossburg 835. So which is smarter?

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

bbcoach

Maybe it's just coincidence but a few years ago Primos came out with a line of calls that they advertised for $12-$15 a call and I've seen the prices of other calls go up accordingly.  Hooks Calls have been my go to for several years and they have only went up about 50 cents in the last couple of years.   A quality call for about $6.

Happy

I have seen the primos line but never run them. Have heard them but they were running a bit raspy for my taste. That's why I quit running Woodhaven calls. I am pretty picky and everyone has there own taste and what works for one may not work for another. The diaphram is my hands down favorite call to use and finding a maker that can give you the call you want consistently is worth a couple extra dollars to me. I have been impressed with the hooks executioner 2 tho. A very good call for the money.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Bowguy

Tru tone are pretty good. Batwing orange n the split v purple call are pretty good. They're reasonable but the shipping on them is high. Hooks are better. The rest are too pricey. I try n order all mouth calls for the year from a supplier at one time.
Hooks n tru tone are it though. Speaking of hooks, what happened to the shockwave? I liked that call.

davisd9

Savduck brought up a good point in another spot we were having the discussion.  Cost of the call is not much, but when you add in the cost of packaging it does bring up the cost.  For some reason the price of packaging did not cross my mind.  I guess maybe I was just thinking of the way I have gotten calls in the past in a zip lock bag or such.  He also pointed out latex has not been of the greatest quality as of late and some calls were replaced because of deficiency so that cost also needed to be recuperated by the call maker.  Good points.

mwr

It's ridiculous!!  I have seen people on Ebay trying to get 30 bucks!!  The guys on here are pretty reasonable.

wvmntnhick

I just bought a bag of calls from gooserbat that were listed in the classifieds here. He said there were about 25-30 calls in the bag and offered them for $20 tyd. I bought them only to find out he lied to me. There were 37 in the bag and I won't need to buy another diaphragm for some time to come. Good deals can be found if one looks hard enough. Granted, most were V cut and someone may not like that but personally, that's one of two cuts I prefer. Personally, I'm satisfied and couldn't be happier.

buzzardroost

I know what you mean. I generally wear a few out during a season.

bbcoach

I just went and checked my Ex 2 packaging from Hooks and each call is individually packed in a plastic snap locked box with a colorful card advertising the call and sealed in a plastic cover that is designed to be hung on store shelves and each call is still $6, so I'm not buying packaging as a Large increase in calls causing HIGH prices.  My personal opinion is what the market will bear and price gouging on the part of some call makers.  Most of the call makers on this site make a quality product and don't gouge their customers.  But some of the high profile manufacturers are mass producing calls only for one reason.  I'll stick with the low profile makers on this site, knowing I'll get top quality calls, stretched consistently, at a Fair price.

davisd9

A larger call making company like hooks will produce more calls than smaller call makers and therefore their cost on packaging will be less because of having it done in larger volumes.

Lonehowl

I can only speak for myself I guess, but, I have the cost of padded mailing  envelopes, which I also pay shipping to get,. When you buy latex, frames etc you have shipping on those,. You have loss...as in not every call comes out right, your going to ruin some,...wasting material. Sometimes the US MAIL loses your package, you duplicate the order and resend it to the customer...As the maker I lose but that's just what you do. ...Sometimes the latex you get is so wrinkled it's unusable especially proph...the plastic can I use to ship the calls in cost more than the traditional little snap case but I use it cause it's cool and usefull. ..and on and on and on.

I'm nobody but I sell a few calls...and I always try to be fair. But yes, there's a lot of cost involved proportional to the actual cost of the call., unfortunately I do have to factor it in. Not out to make a killing, it just a sick hobby that needs to pay for itself.
Mark
Edit to say...not trying to justify anything or anybody just trying to shed some light on the subject overall. 

davisd9

Quote from: Lonehowl on January 10, 2017, 11:24:02 PM
I can only speak for myself I guess, but, I have the cost of padded mailing  envelopes, which I also pay shipping to get,. When you buy latex, frames etc you have shipping on those,. You have loss...as in not every call comes out right, your going to ruin some,...wasting material. Sometimes the US MAIL loses your package, you duplicate the order and resend it to the customer...As the maker I lose but that's just what you do. ...Sometimes the latex you get is so wrinkled it's unusable especially proph...the plastic can I use to ship the calls in cost more than the traditional little snap case but I use it cause it's cool and usefull. ..and on and on and on.

I'm nobody but I sell a few calls...and I always try to be fair. But yes, there's a lot of cost involved proportional to the actual cost of the call., unfortunately I do have to factor it in. Not out to make a killing, it just a sick hobby that needs to pay for itself.
Mark
Edit to say...not trying to justify anything or anybody just trying to shed some light on the subject overall.

Your input is appreciated and those that actually sell can shed some light on things that those that buy never really thought of.