OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strutter

Started by Trip, April 06, 2011, 02:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trip

Nope no pics....I was just wondering what everyones opinion on using a strutting Jake deke in a field situation?

sugarray

It can be very beneficial.  Unless you know you have a boss gobbler or a "gang" around I would be a little leery.

I used a Jake Mobil on 2 occasions last year and put the fan in the full up position.  I did this knowing there was a boss gobbler with hens using the field.  Both times I had a 2 yo come in and skirt the set up b/c they were afraid of the strutting tom.

So, I would put the tail down or straight back, if you have that option.  Just not as aggressive, but still works well.  Make it look like the DSD jake.

RutnNStrutn

I use a strutter, B-Mobile with a real fan, a lot, especially in early season in areas where I've seen strutters. I've been hunting with strutting dekes for years. They are a double edged sword. Sometimes a gobbler, or group of gobblers will coming charging in strutting, or just charge in, and sometimes they will skirt your set up and stay out of range. Its a choice you have to make as if you are going to use a strutting deke or not. Personally, I think the risk is worth it. There is no more exciting hunt than to have a gobbler come charging in to attack your strutter!!

hookedspur

Quote from: sugarray on April 06, 2011, 02:28:18 PM
It can be very beneficial.  Unless you know you have a boss gobbler or a "gang" around I would be a little leery.

I used a Jake Mobil on 2 occasions last year and put the fan in the full up position.  I did this knowing there was a boss gobbler with hens using the field.  Both times I had a 2 yo come in and skirt the set up b/c they were afraid of the strutting tom.

So, I would put the tail down or straight back, if you have that option.  Just not as aggressive, but still works well.  Make it look like the DSD jake.
:agreed: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

bowhunter84

Quote from: sugarray on April 06, 2011, 02:28:18 PM

:agreed: