OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Call buying season!

Started by JLH, December 21, 2016, 10:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLH

Well, it's getting to be that time of year.....

Deer season is wrapping up next month, then we have 2 months of serious turkey call buying to hold us over till actual turkey hunting season comes in!!!

These couple months has become my favorite time of year. The excitement of getting new calls and playing them against the 'ol favorites....man, I can't wait!

I have a few in mind that I want to try.....how about you all?

buzzardroost

I bought several pot calls last year, really got into it. But then I found that I just do not use them hunting. I just can't get away from using mouth calls. So I have several hundred dollars in calls just sitting here. Going to try to refrain from buying more this year lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2eagles

Turkey calls, duck calls or goose calls, I'm a little different. I get a call for what I'm hunting and if I really like that call, it cools my desire for more. Yeah, I still like to look, but I don't buy. I'm not a collector and if I'm not using it, it's for sale. Anyone want a Zink Little Man - cheap?

Tennessee Lead

Getting the fever myself.
I haven't got to go deer hunting aside from a drawn Wma hunt.
I'm sick of seeing dead deer pictures I'm ready for turkey season.

AR Cowboy

I'm ready!

The last 2 years I have hunted with some quality mouth calls (Woodhaven), but just have a few cheap pot and box calls that I learned on. I will be in the market for a superb quality slate and I am already looking.

Gooserbat

I have three in mind.  A box, a pot , and a hooter.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

wvmntnhick

I'm pretty much done. I've got a supreme double suicide and Lonzo Birdseye maple I'm gonna list for sale/trade real soon but not much I'm really wanting. I'd like 1-2 acrylic pots for my rainy day vest but that's about it. Well, unless the right box(es) pop up. Sucker for those.

Dr Juice

One more custom pot for my 200-lb vest. I promise, it will be my last! :-)

Jim K

I started already. I ordered a halloran metal mouth crystal. I got it yesterday. It's all I hoped for. Great call.

ferocious calls

It is call making season here. After a longer than I like I am back in the shop making some singers.

Had a fellow from WV bring some old Chestnut Oak to me to build several calls for him. It was a tribute to his deceased son for his grandchildren. A characture of his son on the calls with details of a different hunt on each call. I was very concerned, having never worked that wood into a call, that sound could be a challenge.

They turned out fantastic sounding. I mean top shelf every one. I will be making a pile of these soon. Chestnut Oak over Chestnut Oak short boxes.

And it is trading season as well. Any makers wanting to trade I'm game.

M Sharpe

You'll be able to quench those desires if you come to the Unicoi Custom Call Makers Show in January. There will be over 60 custom call makers there!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Gamblinman

A box call to start them up and a mouth call to seal the deal.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

jed clampett

After christmas...i am sure that I will buy a few....and then a few more...lol

ol bob

Come on down to Unicoi in 3 weeks even if you  don't buy anything you can meet a bunch of old call makers. :camohat:

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: M Sharpe on December 22, 2016, 08:45:25 AM
You'll be able to quench those desires if you come to the Unicoi Custom Call Makers Show in January. There will be over 60 custom call makers there!
Quote from: ol bob on December 22, 2016, 10:31:44 AM
Come on down to Unicoi in 3 weeks even if you  don't buy anything you can meet a bunch of old call makers. :camohat:

Where is this Unicoi y'all speak of?