OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

making wingbones pearly white

Started by kygobbler, April 06, 2011, 10:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kygobbler

I've made a few wingbone calls and I can't figure out how to make them pearly white. This is what I usually do and maybe someone can give me additional advice. After cleaning them out I will boil them in some water, hydrogen peroxide, and a little bit of dish washing soap. The bones I have done before have been from hens and look pretty good for my standards and proably have a great finish if i polished them. Right now I'm using a 3 yr old gobbler bones and cant them white at all.This time after I boiled them I soaked them in peroxide overnight and still that didn't help. A friend of mine's daughter killed this gobbler and Im wanting the bones to look really nice. If anyone has some helpfull ideas thanks. Also, I thought about bleech but I read somewhere that it would weaken the bones and haven't tried it. Thanks for any advice.
:thanks:

VanHelden Game Calls

Simmer in dish soap till clean. Change water when necessary.

Then use ammonia and soak for days even weeks for stubborn bones.  You can use the fuel, and I have used acetone for super tough stains.   I let them soak for a week or more, never had a problem with the bone integrity.

Then  I rinse and let dry. 

Then into 40volume peroxide for 6-12hrs.  Then let dry in sun.

None of this is set in stone.  A lot depends on my schedule and if I remember where I put them :TooFunny:

kygobbler

kygobbler

Well, I got them pearly white by boiling them at 200 degrees for a little longer than an hour with a little dish washing soap. Any time there wasn't any bubbles from the soap I would add a little more. When I got done with that step I put them in quart jar filled with hydrogen peroxide and left it out in the sun for 4 days, all 4 days were very sunny and warm. Now all I got to do is put them together, polish them and figure out what is the best way to get a good finish on them.

Thanks again