turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Nebraska Merriam Turkey Hunt

Started by turkeybow, April 05, 2011, 11:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeybow

As of now 2 buddies and I plan on heading out in May for a Nebraska Merriam hunt.  We are going to be staying near Chadron, NB and we will be hunting public land.  Does anyone have any experience chasing public land Merriams in Nebraska?  Any tips or advice??  We will be leaving around May 13 and return May 20.  We will be able to hunt for 4 full days, 1 evening when we get there, and 1 morning before we leave.
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

Gobblerstopper

There may be someone close to there that will be more helpful, but I've hunted Nebraska since 2005 and hunted just across the boarder in SD a couple of years before that.  I've never hunted that far west, but not really that far away.

I can tell you that the number of hunters has increased a lot in the past three years.  You will be going later in the season, so I would expect to be hunting birds that have probably had some pressure.  I'd get some good maps and do some studying before you get out there and take some good boots along.  The further you can get from the road the better.

RutnNStrutn

I hunted some private land out there, but did spend one day on public, although the weather was terrible that day. All I can tell you about that area is that the Merriams love to hear themselves gobble. So don't be afraid to be aggressive, and go to the gobble. Now, that might not hold true to the public land, as it probably received more pressure than the private I mainly hunted, but we saw birds there too. Best of luck. It is a beautiful area!!!

mdtkyhntr

I hunted right around that area for a week a couple years back, but I was on private ground. I did venture out to public land one day and with very little information we were able to find birds quickly. They also worked relatively well, but hung around right on the private/public land border. There was also a good deal of hunting pressure on the public land, so expect the birds you're hunting to be a little more educated and call shy then what you would typically expect from a Merriam. As with any Merriam hunt, the birds can cover ground in a hurry. Get in front of them and you'll be in business.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

neal

I know a few guys that where there last year and where covered up in birds, now that was last year but I doubt it has changed to much since then.

Good luck!

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

hootn

first things first. we i mean 6 of us are headed there the 12th of may and will be hunting the afternoon of the 13th. we killed 5 birdslast year . their were 5 of us last year. they didnt seem to be gobbling like they were in 07 when we went there. or not as many gobbling may be cause it was so later. in 07 we went last of april into 1st week of may. we are staying at the state park. and hunting just south of the park.

scott

OLE RASPY

We hunted in crawford nebraska which is next door to chadron and be prepared to be covered up with birds we hunted private land but wasnt very far far from the ponderosa which is public.We didnt even have to use calls they flew down in our laps opening morning.We did grab a bite to eat with the land owner and his wife in chadron.

trkycaller

cannonball

hootn

Quote from: OLE RASPY on April 07, 2011, 09:26:38 PM
We hunted in crawford nebraska which is next door to chadron and be prepared to be covered up with birds we hunted private land but wasnt very far far from the ponderosa which is public.We didnt even have to use calls they flew down in our laps opening morning.We did grab a bite to eat with the land owner and his wife in chadron.

do you remember the land owner name and think they will let some bama boys hunt???

scott

turkeybow

Quote from: hootn on April 07, 2011, 10:35:51 PM

do you remember the land owner name and think they will let some bama boys hunt???

scott

Don't be trying to hijack my thread scott  :TooFunny: I'm looking for help here too!  How far are yall going to be from Chadron?
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

hootn

8 or 9 miles south... and that is enough info from me.lol.. put it this way another 100 yards and they aint another tree for 45 miles south of us.