Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's a Safe Adhesive for Wing Bone Calls?

Started by TalksToTurkeys, April 05, 2011, 08:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TalksToTurkeys

A couple of years ago I made a wing bone call and used 2 part epoxy. The type that's in a double syringe and pushes out equal parts, you mix it up and apply.
I want to make a couple calls out of wing bones from a young hen killed in the fall.
I was looking at the same type of epoxy and the package is full of health warnings. What isn't these days? Maybe it will be safe once it is fully cured. I don't know.
Does anyone have a suggestion for an adhesive that works and is considered safe to use on a wing bone call?
Thanks
Dan

lumberjack

I use exactly what you mentioned most of the time.  The 5 minute variety does seem to yellow over the years, but I don't really care.  If you want to avoid the change in color, the other two part in the syringe that takes an hour to set up works, but it takes a while to get hard (obviously).  I have also used an epoxy paste from the same company as the syringes I think, It comes in roll that is blue on the outside and grey in the middle, you cut off what you need and simply knead it by hand until it is a uniform color and  mold it into place.  It can be a bit neater and I have sanded it to a desired shape, it stays a creamy greyish color, not clear.  However, back to your concerns, until cured they all stink to high heaven, and should be used with adequate ventilation.  Maybe the fumes are the reason I typed all this and never really answered your question! :anim_25:

TalksToTurkeys

Thanks lumberjack
I'm not that concerned about the fumes when I glue up the call, It's more about all the time I'm going to spend practicing on it. I need a lot of practice and I really can't afford to loose too many brain cells.  :TooFunny: