Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First ever checkered box 95% done (sound file at bottom)

Started by bowmike, September 09, 2016, 11:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowmike

Just about finished. First coats of clear on the call. Going to put my logo on the lid, and fill out the bottom. I worked on the tuning a little bit last night and got a tad more back end.

If this rain holds off im planning on doing a video of the call actually in the woods. If not tomorrow morning I am going to try it out on some live birds. LOL

Here are the prep pics after the first light coat of finish.

You can see my boy in the back ground learning call making as well. LOL he is measuring and sanding down my "Firewood Box Call"

Heck even Corbin wanted to help, so he got to clear coat my "Firewood Box Call" lol

Here she is, 95% finished.

I got some better tooling for the next one. Countersink bit for the lid, exacto knife for checkering. Will be sharpening up the chisels. I may put an inlay on the side of the call as well. I still have a few lids that Mike Lapp gave me and may continue to use those up, or hold off. These lids have no curve or anything but do have the inlays cut into the call. We will see.

I need to put my table saw together that has been in the box since Christmas. I think I will do my first 100% on my own box after the next one.

I love this and cant wait to improve on these. I love the PA call making tradition.

The only bad thing is my chestnut trees look like future box calls.

https://youtu.be/WKIBcPat7ew

Sound file

bowmike

I couldn't take it anymore so I went on my lunch break. I had to hear this call in the woods. Doesn't sound too bad but dang that thing rips and is quite loud. WIll be a good locator. Ill have to keep that in mind when I am hunting.

Anyway I found a deer skull and took a couple pics with outside sunlight on it.

SOUND FILE

https://youtu.be/sLkLeBT1SrA

WillowRidgeCalls

Good job, that has a nice young bird sound to it. It should be a killer in the fall seasons and late spring season.  :icon_thumright:
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Clardh