turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jeb's or Indian Creek

Started by agent eight seven O, August 24, 2016, 07:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent eight seven O

Our local turkey shoots will be  starting next month. Most of it is slug shoots with a few shot shoots. For the shot shoots they use cheap 7 1/2 or 8 shot. Was thinking of trying a Jeb's or Indian Creek choke in my 870 for this "competition". Which one do you feel would be best suited for this?

davisd9

IC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

allaboutshooting

Quote from: agent eight seven O on August 24, 2016, 07:21:18 AM
Our local turkey shoots will be  starting next month. Most of it is slug shoots with a few shot shoots. For the shot shoots they use cheap 7 1/2 or 8 shot. Was thinking of trying a Jeb's or Indian Creek choke in my 870 for this "competition". Which one do you feel would be best suited for this?
A bit more information might be helpful. Are there restrictions on the exit diameter of the choke you'll be shooting? What is the distance that you'll be shooting? Is it scored by the shot closest to the center of the + or X?

Are you looking at a choke specifically for this shoot or one that will work both for this and turkey hunting?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

agent eight seven O

Clark, thanks in advance for any tips. The range is 100' and most guys just shoot full chokes. Nothing serious. I am trying to get more interested in the shot shoots. Scoring is the "lucky X" or closest to the center of the X. There are no restrictions on choke size or anything.
The gun I am using is an 870 with 26"barrel. And this is only for the "turkey shoots" as I have many other chokes for hunting.

Also, so far the best combination I have came across so far for this is an SSX in an 835.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: agent eight seven O on August 24, 2016, 05:04:46 PM
Clark, thanks in advance for any tips. The range is 100' and most guys just shoot full chokes. Nothing serious. I am trying to get more interested in the shot shoots. Scoring is the "lucky X" or closest to the center of the X. There are no restrictions on choke size or anything.
The gun I am using is an 870 with 26"barrel. And this is only for the "turkey shoots" as I have many other chokes for hunting.

Also, so far the best combination I have came across so far for this is an SSX in an 835.
Thanks. Those shoots can be a lot of fun. Normally, those inexpensive loads of small shot respond very well to chokes with relatively tight exit diameters, especially at 90'-100'. The SSX is often a very good choice for that as you've seen. The exit diameter of the SSX in your 835 is .670 and the SSX for you 870 would be .643. That should work pretty well for you.

I have shot chokes as tight as .640 in my 835 with those 2.75" shells loaded with #7.5 and #8 shot at those events with good results as well.

The "old guys" that I shot with put a lot of importance on knowing their guns. They'd practice and find out how often the bore needed to be cleaned to make it shoot tight patterns. Many of them would use "Goof Off" and cotton patches to clean the bores of their guns between shots or after every other shot, whatever they'd learned made them shoot best. I noticed they tended to win their share or maybe even more than their share. That's probably the best advice that I can give on those or frankly any other shooting events.

I hope you have a lot of fun at those shoots and win more than your share as well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Farmboy27

Flip a coin!  Lol. I have seen guys win turkey shoots at our local clubs using improved cylinder chokes!  (Lucky buggers!).