turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

835 Star Dot Find

Started by grousec, April 05, 2011, 01:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grousec

I bought a 935 pistol grip turkey last year mid season, but had all but given up on finding a Star Dot choke for it.  But today I walked in a gun shop and after looking at the guns made my way around to the choke tubes and I couldn't believe my eyes there lay on the shelf a Star Dot for 835-935.  It is still in package but has been shot some, so I talked him down on the price.  Just hope I am still excited after I shoot it.  Does it usually do well with Hevi 13 6's, 7's and mag blends?

Gobble!

Quote from: grousec on April 05, 2011, 01:39:54 PM
I bought a 935 pistol grip turkey last year mid season, but had all but given up on finding a Star Dot choke for it.  But today I walked in a gun shop and after looking at the guns made my way around to the choke tubes and I couldn't believe my eyes there lay on the shelf a Star Dot for 835-935.  It is still in package but has been shot some, so I talked him down on the price.  Just hope I am still excited after I shoot it.  Does it usually do well with Hevi 13 6's, 7's and mag blends?

YES

ILIKEHEVI-13

That's like finding a gold nugget.   :lol:

davisd9

When I was looking for mine I went to a store that I remember seeing the name.  When I went all they had was a Star Dot for inv. + and remington.  I was lucky to find mine brand new in the package from a gentleman on another site.  Went to go pick up the inv. + one for a guy on here and guess what I found hiding behind some Jellyheads, an 835 Star Dot.  Went ahead and picked it up cause I knew someone would want it.  Put it up for sale on here and in 5 minutes it was gone.  I really like mine.  Good luck with it!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

goblr77

300Mag

Are the preston pittman chokes the same thing as a stardot. I know where several are for sale.  

goblr77

Quote from: 300Mag on April 05, 2011, 02:21:51 PM
Are the preston pittman chokes the same thing as a stardot. I know where several are for sale.  

Yes. Shoot me a PM if you get a chance.

grousec

Yeah, you don't know how I felt after I got in the truck with that choke.  I thought man this is my day!!
I heard the Preston Pittman's are the same.  Mine says, Highlander Sports Inc 3004 11th Avenue Huntsville Al.
Mine is 676 ID, I wonder if all the ones for 835's were 676?

davisd9

Mine is a .676.  Those are the only ones I have heard of.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

hunttherut

grousec

Cleaned the Star Dot tonight real good.  It did have some wad plastic but the brush on a drill made little work of that.  Hope to get to shoot a few loads through it later this week if it warms up! 

jonhaga

This is a great find. Awesome choke in a 835/935

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteAre the preston pittman chokes the same thing as a stardot. I know where several are for sale. 

NOTE:
Some of the so-called "Star Dot" Preston Pittman chokes were packaged with Star Dot sights, and that is where the nickname came from.

There were also quite a few "Star Dot" Preston Pittman chokes that were sold, which weren't labeled as "Star Dot" anywhere on the packaging, because they weren't packaged with the Star Dot sights.

NOT ALL Preston Pittman chokes were the choke referred to as the "Star Dot" choke.  My neighbor had one that was NOT the real deal.

The Preston Pittman Star Dot choke has done very well for me with Hevi13 #6's and #7's in INV+ and RemChoke.  Everyone swears that they are the "bees knees" in 835/935 Mossbergs, but I don't know personally.

trkehunr93

Quote from: davisd9 on April 05, 2011, 02:06:50 PM
When I was looking for mine I went to a store that I remember seeing the name.  When I went all they had was a Star Dot for inv. + and remington.  I was lucky to find mine brand new in the package from a gentleman on another site.  Went to go pick up the inv. + one for a guy on here and guess what I found hiding behind some Jellyheads, an 835 Star Dot.  Went ahead and picked it up cause I knew someone would want it.  Put it up for sale on here and in 5 minutes it was gone.  I really like mine.  Good luck with it!

:you_rock: I grabbed it as soon as I saw it, I've been looking for one for several years.  It should be here today and I am itching to put some H13 #6's and #7's thru it.  Kinda feels like Christmas to me today!   ;D

keyser12ga

Quote from: grousec on April 05, 2011, 02:55:08 PM
Yeah, you don't know how I felt after I got in the truck with that choke.  I thought man this is my day!!
I heard the Preston Pittman's are the same.  Mine says, Highlander Sports Inc 3004 11th Avenue Huntsville Al.
Mine is 676 ID, I wonder if all the ones for 835's were 676?

I had a Preston Pittman and have a stardot.  They looked the same except for the knurling on the end.  My Stardot measured .676 with calipers and the Pittman measured something like .682 or 4, I can't remember exactly.  They both shot the same and worked great with 3.5 2.25 Hevi 6's.