turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A couple pot questions/observations

Started by Life of Riley, August 09, 2016, 12:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

1. I bought a zink anodized aluminum call after season for $10 to practice on and play with. I read some posts in the past on caring for the calling surface. Although some were adamant on never using an abrasive on the surface I have to condition it with scotch brite once in a while. I know aluminum is harder than slate, but with playing it will eventually smooth a bit and make the peg slip on the surface. I have also cleaned with alcohol which works good, but still find the need to scratch it up every two weeks, as it sits by my easy chair and I play a bunch of my calls every night.

2. Is there any discernible difference on a glass vs. crystal slate call if it was in the same pot material? I bought a zink crystal pot for cheap but haven't opened it up yet.

3. What is your favorite metal surface for a pot call?

870BkWht

1.  Anodized aluminum in my opinion will always lend itself to being a slicker call.  Some guys say not to scratch it up, some recommend a light abrasive such as a green scotch bright pad, or really fine sandpaper (400 ish grit) and you can also condition your striker tip slightly.  Also try using a little chalk on the aluminum surface if you would rather not scratch the anodizing off.

2. Regardless of the material the pot was made from, all striking surfaces will have a noticeable difference in the way they sound.  Experiment with several to find what you like the best.

3. Everyone will have their differences, but I'm only speaking for myself, I prefer ceramic, crystal, and titanium