OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Apparently cluck and purr is not a hunting call?

Started by Life of Riley, July 20, 2016, 07:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 30, 2017, 04:38:59 PM
LOL. I think I will continue to use the soft clucks and purrs and continue to kill those hard pressured birds with them. A hen is very very vocal. She constantly makes little putts , whines , clucks and all sorts of soft sounds when content. Most of the time you have to be really close to them in order to hear all of this. most of the hens I see while hunting is constantly vocal albeit soft calling. I have rarely seen a completely silent hen. this is just my experience.
I've had a different experience... if she's not yelping and looking for me, when a hen comes in very close, she is usually silent until she notices that I don't look quite right, then will start the soft putt and purrs. I have heard a lot more noise from hens when they are in big groups.

Spitten and drummen

I agree about being more vocal in a group and should have been more clear in my statement. most of the times that I see a lone hen , she is coming looking for me when I have been calling. In this situation I have heard alot of sounds from them. I am by no means meaning that I just see hens strolling through the woods yacking away consistently. I'm just saying that they are way more vocal than many think. Also when I see them , most times they are feeding. I have never seen a silent feeding hen that I can recall.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Marc

Quote from: catman529 on March 30, 2017, 10:22:05 PM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 30, 2017, 04:38:59 PM
LOL. I think I will continue to use the soft clucks and purrs and continue to kill those hard pressured birds with them. A hen is very very vocal. She constantly makes little putts , whines , clucks and all sorts of soft sounds when content. Most of the time you have to be really close to them in order to hear all of this. most of the hens I see while hunting is constantly vocal albeit soft calling. I have rarely seen a completely silent hen. this is just my experience.
I've had a different experience... if she's not yelping and looking for me, when a hen comes in very close, she is usually silent until she notices that I don't look quite right, then will start the soft putt and purrs. I have heard a lot more noise from hens when they are in big groups.

My experience differs...  The only time I have seen a completely silent hen is when they are on the nervous side...

Most hens I see going about their business (during spring, or other times of the year) are making some sort of vocalization, and generally, it is soft clucking or purring...

I suppose experiences would vary as to geography and sub-species being discussed...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

GobbleNut

Interesting discussion and differing perspectives.  The bottom line is that turkeys do cluck and purr as part of their "language" with each other.  But again, the "devil is in the details",...that is, the execution of that language by turkeys (or a hunter) in any given situation can mean entirely different things. 

And similarly, the use of the cluck and purr by a hunter that does not have some understanding of the spectrum of meanings behind the use of that call can most certainly result in an alarmed and departing turkey. The first step in knowing when, or when not, to use the cluck and purr in a hunting situation is understanding how a gobbler is likely to react to your version of it. 

The guy in the video is correct,...but only partially so.  His error,...and the resulting discussion here,...is due to his generalization of a turkey vocalization that cannot be so easily generalized. 

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 31, 2017, 05:45:28 PM
The guy in the video is correct,...but only partially so.  His error,...and the resulting discussion here,...is due to his generalization of a turkey vocalization that cannot be so easily generalized.
So he's wrong.  ;D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Spitten and drummen

Well gobblenut , please share the proper time and context in using and interpretation of clucks and purrs. Any of your knowledge will be appreciated.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

guesswho

In a nut shell he's just saying there are several variations, and knowing which is which is beneficial to a hunter.   Not all clucks and purrs mean I'm getting out of Dodge!  There are content clucks and purrs, contact clucks and purrs, nervous clucks and purrs that are borderline putts etc.  so the guy in the video experience nervous or alert clucks and purrs.   Which he's saying isn't a hunting call and most will agree with that.   Gobblenut is just saying the guy is right, except for lumping all cluck and purrs into the nervous or alert category.   I think.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Kylongspur88

Soft clucks with some purrs and a little leaf scratching has killed me a lot of birds.

Putts and cackles aren't calls I'd throw out at a bird I'm working.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: guesswho on March 31, 2017, 07:37:31 PM
In a nut shell he's just saying there are several variations, and knowing which is which is beneficial to a hunter.   Not all clucks and purrs mean I'm getting out of Dodge!  There are content clucks and purrs, contact clucks and purrs, nervous clucks and purrs that are borderline putts etc.  so the guy in the video experience nervous or alert clucks and purrs.   Which he's saying isn't a hunting call and most will agree with that.   Gobblenut is just saying the guy is right, except for lumping all cluck and purrs into the nervous or alert category.   I think.

Ok. I was just trying to figure out the right formula.  Sometimes I think turkeys are like people , they just talk to hear themselves talk. Sometimes with no ryme or reason.Alot of times I think we read too much in the game. Knowing what to say and when to say it is important.  I know I have killed a many gobblers with soft clucks and purrs and purrs and clucks.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

guesswho

I think your right.   Some seem to go around talking to themselves.   Sometimes I see body posture and action that doesn't fit what I interpreted the audible as being, if that makes sense.   
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Ozarks Hillbilly

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on March 31, 2017, 07:37:31 PM

^^^Yeah,...what he said^^^   :newmascot: :newmascot:

deerbasshunter3

Apparently, yelping isn't a turkey hunting call either... I couldn't get that bird to gobble at anything this morning but an owl call... Go figure.

owlhoot

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on April 01, 2017, 12:16:04 PM
Apparently, yelping isn't a turkey hunting call either... I couldn't get that bird to gobble at anything this morning but an owl call... Go figure.
Didn't try the dog whistle thing did ya  :newmascot:

deerbasshunter3