News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Buying "Used Choke Tubes"

Started by lowoctane, July 11, 2016, 11:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowoctane

:morning:
I recently bought a Rhino Turkey Choke from another member here on OG. When I finally got to test it, the tube would barely screw into my much used 870 and not at all into my old school 11-87. I contacted Joe @ Rhino and he informed me that using HTL thru their chokes is what causes the bulging and that their chokes are not to be used with HTL. I since have contacted the member who sold the Rhino to me, but have not heard back from him. Henceforth, when I buy a tube on OG, I will only purchase one that can handle HTL or lead, and that the HTL use is guaranteed by the manufacturer, as then my purchase wouldn't be wasted dollars.  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

reynolds243

Due what? Rhino tubes were the ones recommended by nitro to shoot their loads which are HTL. Seems like an odd thing to say from rhino

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

dirt road ninja

I find it hard to believe they won't stand behind their very high priced product. That sucks!

BowBendr

May be a bad one on me but I thought Rhino was the holy grail for Nitro ammo...?
Ive never heard or read that their chokes aren't htl approved.

Gods of Thunder
2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

tomstopper

Quote from: dirt road ninja on July 11, 2016, 11:36:52 AM
I find it hard to believe they won't stand behind their very high priced product. That sucks!
:agreed:

Greg Massey

I guess one of the questions i have is ...did the person who sold this choke tube not know it had a problem..if so why would you sale a tube with a bulge to someone..if knowing ...that's very unsafe...

Marc

I never like to purchase used choke tubes...  Not being the original purchaser, you generally have no warranty (which I actually feel is fair)...

Furthermore, in most after-market chokes I have purchased, I have been sent choke tubes of incorrect constriction.  When ordering a choke, I measure my bore diameter and the choke constriction of the new choke to make sure it is correct...  You'd be surprised at how frequently after-market chokes are off on the constriction...

With my current Beretta, I took the time to measure the factory chokes before making the purchase, and two of them were mis-marked or way off the mark.  The clerk was a bit surprised, but I asked him if I could get the purchase going and then trade in the chokes, he said no...  The manager agreed to take the chokes from a different gun (mine was greatly reduced in price due to a small scratch), and he stated he would send them back so another customer did not get the incorrect chokes.

When you purchase used chokes, you have no recourse if the constriction is incorrect, or if the choke is damaged...  I would rather spend the extra money and be safe and have some recourse if for whatever reason the choke does not work in my gun.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

sixbird

Rhino may be the "holy grail" but there are MANY other companies that will let you try their tubes and return them if they don't work out for ya'... With Rhino, once you buy it, it's yours...AND, the other companies stand behind their products, unlike what Rhino did to O.P.
I bought a 10 ga. that wouldn't pattern. Bought a Rhino choke tube to try to remedy that. Didn't do much so I called Rhino. They recommended I contact Nitro Co., which I did. Patterned great after that but nobody mentioned anything about Hevi. My Nitro's had Hevi 7's in the load...They certainly knew what Nitro would recommend...
As you can probably tell, I have a sour taste in my mouth about Rhino...

Roost 1

Rhino never has stood behind their product.. That's why I
Only use kicks or JEBS.... The 2 best in the business IMO.

lowoctane

Well y'all, I posted this for multiple reasons, one was to share my misfortune so that others can learn from my mistakes, and also to inform others of the importance of buying quality tubes from quality companies. It was also my hope that the member that sold me the choke would see this thread and have the gumption to return my money, but nothing yet. As a personal note, when I go to sell parts for anything, they must be usable or I throw them away. I don't believe in ripping people off.  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

PALongspur

Not at all surprised at the response you got from the manufacturer unfortunately. They'll never get any of my money again.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: lowoctane on July 12, 2016, 07:56:11 PM
Well y'all, I posted this for multiple reasons, one was to share my misfortune so that others can learn from my mistakes, and also to inform others of the importance of buying quality tubes from quality companies. It was also my hope that the member that sold me the choke would see this thread and have the gumption to return my money, but nothing yet. As a personal note, when I go to sell parts for anything, they must be usable or I throw them away. I don't believe in ripping people off.  :camohat:
Believe me when I say this Sir that is how most guys on O.G. do business and believe,  you just happened upon the less than 1% that probably dont which sucks.

Greg Massey

If i were you i would message Old Gobbler and tell him what happen and let him try and contact the person who sold you the choke and let him handle it..

Ihuntoldschool

HTL will take its toll on any choke over time regardless of what the company says the choke is safe for.  Not one or two shots but the cumulative effect of many shots will do them in. As far as how many shots they can take that is up to anyone's guess.  Kick's chokes are built like a tank, as strong or stronger than any you will find but safe for lead shot only per the manufacturer.